OTTAWA, Jan. 10, 2017 /CNW/ - Amid a growing number of retirements facing the company, Hydro Ottawa continues to be regarded as a best employer for those in the earlier stages of their careers. For the fourth year in a row, the utility in the Nation's Capital has been named one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People.
With a robust summer student program, newly established Youth Council, trades partnerships with Algonquin College, intern and co-op development programs and more, Hydro Ottawa places a high priority on hiring and training the next generation of its workforce.
As a result, the company continues its standing as an attractive employer for those under the age of 30, with the cohort representing 16 percent of its workforce – an increase from 13 percent in 2012.
- In 2015 and 2016, Hydro Ottawa hired 62 and 55 summer and coop students respectively– representing almost 9 percent of its workforce.
- Hydro Ottawa partnered with Algonquin College in 2011 to establish a Powerline Technician Diploma Program to train the next generation of skilled journeypersons. Since its inception, 118 students have graduated from the program.
- As of December 2016, Hydro Ottawa had 39 apprentices, representing 24 percent of its trades workforce. Since the introduction of formalized apprentice programs in 2005, Hydro Ottawa has enabled 69 apprentices to achieve journeyperson status, representing approximately 40 percent of its existing trades workforce. In 2016 alone, 14 apprentices achieved journeyperson status.
- The company's Youth Council was created to generate insight on issues involving or affecting youth at Hydro Ottawa, and to improve networking opportunities for young professionals within the company.
- Hydro Ottawa invites emerging female leaders to participate in Taking the Stage training, which is designed specifically for women.
"We're privileged to have a growing group of young talent continue to join the Hydro Ottawa family, bringing new ideas, passion and skills to our workplace. Whether in the field or the office, we're pleased to offer various programs and opportunities that encourage younger employees to make meaningful contributions to the company and community early in their careers."
- Bryce Conrad, Hydro Ottawa President & CEO
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa's core businesses are delivering electricity, generating renewable power and providing energy conservation/management services. Hydro Ottawa is a community-owned, private company, delivering electricity to more than 325,000 customers in Ottawa and Casselman. It is the largest municipally-owned producer of green power in the province, with hydroelectric and landfill gas-to-energy generating facilities. Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) owns and operates two subsidiary companies, Hydro Ottawa Limited and Energy Ottawa Inc.
SOURCE Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
For further information: Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 345, [email protected]