OTTAWA, Nov. 27, 2014 /CNW/ - Hydro Ottawa is proud to announce it has been recognized by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce for its proactive and innovative approach to training the next generation of powerline technicians.
Hydro Ottawa was recognized for its partnership with Algonquin College in the delivery of a two-year Powerline Technician Diploma Program. At a time when the electricity sector is struggling with the prospect of significant retirements across Canada, this initiative has put a spotlight on the importance of apprenticeship and trades training within our province by creating a pool of critical talent.
The Ontario Business Achievement Skills and Training Award is given to a business whose skills and training initiatives best harness the talent of its people, embrace diversity, and support employee success.
- Hydro Ottawa projects about 42 percent of its overall workforce could retire by 2023 – representing 8,015 years of skills and experience.
- Through this partnership, Algonquin College provides classroom instruction, while Hydro Ottawa delivers hands-on courses in line work, safety and underground systems.
- Seventeen students graduated from the first program cohort in 2013, and 40 students graduated from the second cohort in 2014.
- Over the last two years, Hydro Ottawa has hired 10 Algonquin College graduates into a Powerline Technician apprenticeship.
"Our partnership with Algonquin College allows us to attract the best and brightest new trade talent while leveraging the skills and experience of our employees to teach the next generation of tradespeople."
– Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer, Hydro Ottawa
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) owns and operates two subsidiary companies, Hydro Ottawa Limited and Energy Ottawa Inc. Hydro Ottawa Limited is the third largest municipally owned electrical utility in Ontario serving more than 315,000 customers in the City of Ottawa and the Village of Casselman. Energy Ottawa Inc., Ottawa's largest producer of green power, generates renewable energy and provides commercial energy management services.
SOURCE: Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
For further information: Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 7684, email@example.com