OTTAWA, June 2, 2016 /CNW/ - Hydro Ottawa is proud to announce today that it is taking important steps to fight climate change within its own organization, as well as assisting in the efforts of the greater Ottawa business community by joining Carbon 613.
In partnership with Envirocentre and Sustainability CoLab, Carbon 613 is a made-in-Ottawa, target-based sustainability program that supports and builds a network of local businesses in setting and achieving sustainability goals. Carbon 613 is one of eight programs across Ontario that help businesses set and achieve targets to reduce their environmental impacts while enhancing their competitive advantage and stimulating the low-carbon economy.
Other businesses and partners leading the local program include the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change, TD Bank, the Ottawa Carleton District School Board and the Ottawa Chamber of Commerce.
Already the largest municipally owned producer of green power in Ontario, this initiative comes on the heels of Hydro Ottawa being recognized as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for the sixth year in a row.
- In 2009, Hydro Ottawa launched its Environmental Sustainability Strategy that has resulted in many successful initiatives aimed at reducing the impact of the utility's operations on the environment.
- Through its subsidiary, Energy Ottawa, Hydro Ottawa generates 79 megawatts (MW) of green power, enough to power 62,000 homes annually.
- When its Chaudière Falls expansion project is complete, the facility will feed into the provincial grid and power 20,000 homes with clean renewable power; reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 115,000 metric tons of C02 every year.
- Hydro Ottawa co-leads the Electric Mobility Adoption and Prediction (EMAP) Ottawa project to analyze the potential effects of electric vehicles on our electricity system.
- Hydro Ottawa has increased the number of fleet vehicles that have environmental benefits to 96, accounting for 40 per cent of all fleet.
"Carbon 613 is innovative, daring and positions businesses to make a big impact in the nation's capital around greenhouse gas emissions. I'm proud of what Hydro Ottawa has accomplished to date with regards to our environmental efforts and green generation initiatives. I also believe that we can do even better. We can learn from one another, support each other and our community in achieving sustainability success, and the best part is that we can do it together. Carbon 613 is exactly what our city needs."
- Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa's core businesses are delivering electricity, generating renewable power and providing energy conservation/management services. Hydro Ottawa is a community-owned, private company, delivering electricity to more than 325,000 customers in Ottawa and Casselman. It is the largest municipally-owned producer of green power in the province, with hydroelectric and landfill gas-to-energy generating facilities. Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) owns and operates two subsidiary companies, Hydro Ottawa Limited and Energy Ottawa Inc.
SOURCE Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
For further information: Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 345, firstname.lastname@example.org