OTTAWA, Jan. 11, 2016 /CNW/ - For the third year in a row, Hydro Ottawa has been recognized as one of Canada's Top Employers for Young People.
At Hydro Ottawa, young workers benefit from career development opportunities, community involvement initiatives and a culture that focuses on the safety and well-being of each employee.
With more than 40 percent of its workforce set to retire in the next ten years, Hydro Ottawa is preparing for the future by strategically reaching out to young talent early thanks to its educational partnerships and focus on the student experience. Currently, employees under the age of 30 represent 16 percent of Hydro Ottawa's workforce.
- Hydro Ottawa's partnership with Algonquin College provides training to students enrolled in the two-year Powerline Technician diploma program.
- Hydro Ottawa offers in-house apprenticeship programs for its trades workers and also manages an engineer intern training and development program.
- In 2015, Hydro Ottawa hired 55 students, growing its workforce by nine per cent.
- Hydro Ottawa delivers The Student Apprentice – a full-day program that offers students an opportunity to present "value-added" ideas to the organization.
- Hydro Ottawa's outreach strategy includes awareness at the elementary school level, and leveraging deeper connections through partnerships at the secondary and post-secondary level. The goal is to capture the imagination of young workers early while they're still considering career options.
- Giving back to the community is an important part of Hydro Ottawa's culture. Employees are encouraged to get involved in workplace charity events, and afforded one paid volunteer day a year.
"Every day, the next generation of talent continues to define and shape the Hydro Ottawa of the future: passionate about the environment and the community, excited about innovation and technology, and motivated to share ideas that will make a difference in the world. We want young people entering the workforce to choose Hydro Ottawa because we are as enthusiastic about the future as they are."
- Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa's core businesses are delivering electricity, generating renewable power and providing energy conservation/management services. Hydro Ottawa is a community-owned, private company, delivering electricity to more than 319,500 customers in Ottawa and Casselman. It is the largest municipally-owned producer of green power in the province, with hydroelectric and landfill gas-to-energy generating facilities. Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) owns and operates two subsidiary companies, Hydro Ottawa Limited and Energy Ottawa Inc.
SOURCE Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
Image with caption: "Logo: Hydro Ottawa (CNW Group/Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160111_C4074_PHOTO_EN_594494.jpg
Video with caption: "For the third year in a row, Hydro Ottawa has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People. Engineer Intern, Sasha McCulloch, discusses why she chose Hydro Ottawa for her career.". Video available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1YswyQ2vE
For further information: Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 345, email@example.com; www.hydroottawa.com