Eight tips for staying fit while travelling for business
TORONTO, May 8, 2014 /CNW/ - For many of us, exercise isn't easy. So it's no surprise that when taken out of our regular routines it's one of the first things to fall to the wayside - along with that 'strict' diet you've been following, of course! The folks at Choice Hotels Canada spend a lot of time on the road and, lucky for us, they're sharing their fitness tips.
"It's not as hard to stay active when you're travelling as you may think," says Tim Oldfield, managing director, Choice Hotels Canada. "A few small tweaks to your schedule and a little bit of planning and you'll return from your trip with your waistline intact."
Whether you're flying or driving, at a hotel with a gym or without, here are eight simple tips for your next trip:
- Pack healthy snacks
- Travelling can be stressful which will make you want to eat junk. But with nutritious snacks on-hand, you'll avoid giving into that temptation. Stock the mini fridge with fruits and yogurt and use the coffee maker's water dispenser to make oatmeal as a healthy breakfast.
- We recently read that sitting is the new smoking, so make sure to get up and walk as much as you can. Whether it's a few blocks to your next meeting or just around the airport terminal - just remember to pack comfortable shoes.
- Flying dehydrates you, which makes you tired and when you're tired you can overeat. Keep a bottle of water with you at all time and you'll make friends with your waistline and skin. Note: Alcoholic beverages do not count.
- Do a little yoga after you've been sitting for an extended period. Your body will thank you. It's a great idea to also stretch out before bed as it can help alleviate stress.
- Aside from your running shoes and workout gear, a skipping rope can be your best friend if you're craving some cardio on the go. Resistance bands are also useful.
- It's easy to say there's no time or brush it aside when outside of your normal schedule, but by adding it into your daily agenda, you'll increase the likelihood of actually getting to it - whether you're a morning person or night owl.
- If you know that the gym in your hotel is a claustrophobic box with a 1980's treadmill, make sure to bring your membership from home with you. Popular chains like Goodlife Fitness allow members to access any of their locations nationwide.
- Now this might not be possible for some professions, however, if you have an animal-friendly job…and hotel, consider bringing your furry friend along. Those daily walks will help keep you in shape and it's someone to cuddle with at night.
So lay off the chips and excuses and you'll see how easy it is to maintain a healthy routine when travelling. Plus if you sign up for Choice Privileges, which is one of the fastest growing hotel loyalty programs, you can start earning points towards free nights - and who doesn't like free?
About Choice Hotels Canada
Choice Hotels Canada is the nation's largest hotel franchisor with 325 properties currently open or under development. The company's Comfort, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Econo Lodge, Rodeway Inn, MainStay Suites and Suburban Extended Stay brands are designed to accommodate the value-oriented traveller. In addition, there is the Ascend Hotel Collection membership program which consists of unique, boutique and historic properties. Combined they serve more than five million Canadian guests each year. All hotels are independently owned and operated.
Choice brands can be found in every major and most secondary markets across Canada. Through its Choice Privileges rewards program, members can easily earn points for free hotel stays or gift cards at popular retailers. With more than 19 million members worldwide, Choice Privileges is one of the fastest growing hotel loyalty programs in the travel industry.
Choice Hotels Canada is affiliated with Choice Hotels International, Inc. which franchises more than 6,300 hotels in more than 30 countries and territories worldwide. For reservations call 800.4CHOICE (800.424.6423)/800.BO.RÊVES (800.267.3827) or visit www.choicehotels.ca for additional corporate information.
Choice Hotels, Choice Hotels Canada, Choice Privileges, Comfort, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, MainStay Suites, Suburban Extended Stay, Econo Lodge, Rodeway Inn, Ascend Hotel Collection, 800.4CHOICE and 800.BO.RÊVES are proprietary trademarks and service marks of Choice Hotels International.
©2014 Choice Hotels Canada Inc. All rights reserved.
Image with caption: "Maintain your workout routine when travelling by using the hotel fitness centre or getting a national gym membership (CNW Group/Choice Hotels Canada Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140508_C7278_PHOTO_EN_40091.jpg
SOURCE: Choice Hotels Canada Inc.
For further information:
energi PR: Lauren Wasley
Tel: 416.425.9143 ext. 19
Choice Corporate: Diana Kuhnberg