TORONTO, Dec. 22, 2014 /CNW/ - LCBO's all-new Deflate the Elephant website offers practical tips to prevent drinking and driving. Whether celebrating the holidays with a quiet dinner party or a glitzy formal affair, having a plan is important in making sure your guests have a safe and enjoyable time.
Here are a few easy ways to make sure your guests enjoy the party this year, and for many more to come:
• Serve drinks yourself or designate a bartender instead of having an open bar. People tend to drink more when they serve themselves.
• Provide low-alcohol and alcohol-free drinks, such as 0% Cocktails, non-alcoholic punch, pop, water, tea and coffee.
• Promote the use of designated drivers and keep cash and telephone numbers on hand for taxis. Encourage guests to leave their cars at home. If they insist on driving, be prepared to take away their car keys.
• Stop serving alcohol at least an hour before the party is over. Remember that having coffee after drinking doesn't make you sober.
• Don't plan physical activities when you're serving alcohol. People are more prone to accidents and injury while drinking.
• Have food available to avoid drinking on an empty stomach. Avoid serving salty, sweet or greasy snack foods; they'll make your guests thirstier. High-starch and protein foods such as meats, veggies, cheeses, dips and breads are good choices.
The new Deflate the Elephant website features inspiring food and alcohol-free drink pairings, recipes and content that encourage a thoughtful approach to entertaining. www.deflatetheelephant.com
"Since entertaining is all about finding a balance between hospitality and responsibility, we're pleased to offer people practical and inspiring ways to be both a responsible and generous host, not just at holiday but all year-long."
— Bob Peter, LCBO President & CEO
• LCBO's new take on the drinking and driving conversation: http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/corporate-pages/about/media-centre/news/2014-12-10b.html
• LCBO Backgrounder on the 2014 Deflate the Elephant campaign: http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/corporate-pages/about/media-centre/news/2014-12-10a.html
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/Deflatetheelephant and Twitter: @SpeakUp_LCBO and #SpeakUpLCBO
For further information: MEDIA CONTACTS: Heather MacGregor, LCBO Media Relations Co-ordinator, Tel. 416 864-6772; Cell: 416 587-3729; E-mail: email@example.com; Genevieve Tomney, LCBO Senior Communications Consultant, Tel. 416-864-6875; Cell: 647-339-5428; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org