QUÉBEC CITY, May 11, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Valcartier Vacation Village CEO and founder Guy Drouin announced today that he is increasing his total private investment to $70 million to add an ice hotel - Hôtel de Glace, one of North America's most unique and iconic tourist gems - to his vacation facility crown this winter.
With its acquisition of Hôtel de Glace, Valcartier Vacation Village has announced that the concept founder, Jacques Desbois, and key artisans will stay on board and that the number of jobs will remain the same. Mr. Desbois founded Hôtel de Glace in 2001. Over the years, this one-of-a-kind property has become a symbol of winter at its best in Canada and Québec.
The additional five million dollars includes acquisition of Hôtel de Glace, its integration to VVV, new equipment, and marketing & promotion.
"Together we will push Hôtel de Glace concept even further. It will have the resources and additional services it deserves: restaurants, amenities, a spa, indoor and outdoor activities, and much more. In addition, we will pull out all the stops to open the site earlier than in the past, definitely in time for Christmas season," said Mr. Drouin.
A series of market analyses led Mr. Drouin to conclude that making Hôtel de Glace part of a comprehensive tourism package would ensure its long-term viability and profitability, the goal being to protect and better support the creative process of Hôtel de Glace artisans.
"Hôtel de Glace guests will now be able to enhance their winter wonderland experience of outdoor slides and ice skating trails by escaping to a gigantic, Polynesian-themed 30°C indoor waterpark. By merging our customer bases, Valcartier Vacation Village could bring in up to a third of a million visitors every winter and some 750,000 a year," he added.
Moving Hôtel de Glace to VVV site is a logical next step after the announcement of a major construction project to build an immense indoor waterpark, a four-star hotel, a one-of-a-kind spa, and a complete selection of restaurants.
"This will bring our total investment in Valcartier up to $130 million—$60 million to date, $65 million underway, plus the $5 million announced today. As of this December, the Québec City area will be home to Eastern Canada's largest all-season resort. We will roll out major ad campaigns in Canada and targeted U.S. markets to draw visitors to the Québec City area, and we will reach out to partners from across the tourism industry to build packages and make them available on Valcartier.com" said Mr. Drouin.
Hôtel de Glace will open its doors in December 2016 mere steps from the indoor waterpark, four-star hotel, and spa currently under construction. The major recreation and tourism complex will include an indoor waterpark (with a wave pool, slides, a surf ride, and other attractions), a four-star hotel with 153 suites, a one-of-a-kind spa and a 10,600-sq.-ft. entertainment room offering state-of-the-art gaming experiences.
QUÉBEC CITY AREA TO BE HOME TO EASTERN CANADA'S LARGEST RESORT
With a total $130 million investment at Valcartier Vacation Village,
Québec City area will boast Eastern Canada's largest all-season resort as of December
VALCARTIER VACATION VILLAGE TO INCREASE PRIVATE INVESTMENT TO $70 MILLION TO ACQUIRE AND BUILD HÔTEL DE GLACE NEAR FUTURE INDOOR WATERPARK, 4-STAR HOTEL AND SPA
- Valcartier Vacation Village (VVV) has acquired and will be the new home of Québec City's Hôtel de Glace. The project's founder, Jacques Desbois, and key artisans will stay on board and the number of jobs will remain the same.
- The move will ensure the long-term viability and profitability of Hôtel de Glace by making it part of VVV's comprehensive year-round offering.
- VVV announced that the addition of new equipment will make it possible for Hôtel de Glace to welcome visitors earlier next season (before Christmas), making it an appealing option for holiday travelers.
- To celebrate the official opening of the new $70 million (up from $65 million) complex in December 2016, Hôtel de Glace creators and their Valcartier partners have promised an exclusive, never-before-seen design for the holidays with at least 44 unique guestrooms (as in winter 2015-2016).
- This will bring the total number of individual VVV accommodations to nearly 800, including 600 summer campsites, 153 year-round suites at Hôtel Valcartier, and 44 rooms at Hôtel de Glace.
A site visit to Valcartier will take place on Monday, June 6, at 11:00 a.m. (to be confirmed) for members of the press to:
- Observe the progress of construction of the huge indoor waterpark and Hôtel Valcartier
- Witness the unveiling of the name of the future indoor waterpark (which will be as big as six NHL rinks!)
- See the location and take in the spectacular view of the valley and Jacques-Cartier River from Hôtel de Glace
- Meet the new spokesperson for this awe-inspiring resort
SOURCE Hôtel de Glace Québec Canada inc.
Image with caption: "Hôtel de Glace to become part of Eastern Canada's largest resort: Valcartier Vacation Village (CNW Group/Hôtel de Glace Québec Canada inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160511_C3059_PHOTO_EN_687391.jpg
For further information: SOURCES ET DEMANDES D'ENTREVUES : BROUILLARD, [email protected], 418.682.6111 ; Communications stratégiques et gestion de l'offre : Louis Massicotte, conseiller spécial du président, [email protected] ; Coordination marketing Village Vacances Valcartier : Catherine Dumont, [email protected], 418.844.2200 poste 229 ; Coordination marketing Hôtel de Glace : Marie-Pier Daigle, [email protected], 418.951.1154