EXPECT VERY HEAVY TRAFFIC DURING THE BLITZ; PRIORITIZE PUBLIC TRANSIT
LONGUEUIL, QC, July 9, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI) would like to advise road users that the replacement of the deck on the federal section of the Honoré Mercier Bridge will begin during a major month-long BLITZ, from July 13 to August 11. Work will take place day and night, weekdays and weekends.
The major work will start on Friday, July 12 at 9 p.m.
One lane will be open per direction on the bridge while this work takes place. Some access ramps on the South Shore side will also be closed during this period.
This work will enable us to replace the concrete deck on the Mercier Bridge's federal section and install new prefabricated concrete slabs.
The downriver bridge (East side) will be completely closed to traffic to begin replacing the slabs of its deck. One lane will be open in each direction on the upriver bridge (West side).
Lane width will also be reduced to 3 metres in each direction. Trucks exceeding this width will have to take alternative routes.
To view the configuration of the access and exits during the BLITZ, consult our map on www.mercierbridge.ca
Public transit encouraged - dedicated lane created
During the month-long BLITZ, road users are strongly encouraged to use the various types of public transit.
A dedicated bus lane will be created during the work BLITZ at the bridge approaches on the South Shore side, in order to give buses easier access to the La Prairie access ramp, where all vehicles using the bridge will converge.
CHÂTEAUGUAY BUS - See the CITSO website
- A reserved lane will be designated for buses leaving from Châteauguay to facilitate access to the Honoré-Mercier Bridge.
- Incentive parking in Châteauguay: 499 parking spaces
CANDIAC TRAIN LINE - See the AMT website
- Weekday departures from Candiac at 6:00 a.m., 6:35 a.m., 7:00 a.m., 7:35 a.m., 8:00 a.m., 8:25 a.m., 8:50 a.m. and 1:20 p.m. (SEE COMPLETE SCHEDULE)
- The route goes to Vendôme station (33 minutes) and Lucien-L'Allier station (40 minutes)
Parking spaces available on this line:
- Sainte-Catherine: 849 parking spaces
- Candiac: 375 parking spaces
- Delson: 170 parking spaces
- Saint-Constant: 367 parking spaces
NEW A30 EXPRESS - See the website
- During the BLITZ, the new A30 is the best option for all west-bound travel, including such destinations as the West Island, Ottawa, Gatineau and Toronto.
Carpooling is also encouraged.
Traffic will be especially difficult during this month of intensive work and using the Champlain and Victoria Bridges will be a good alternative option, although public transit remains more advantageous to reduce the number of drivers on the network.
For those who wish to take the Champlain Bridge, we suggest leaving earlier on weekdays. In summer, the Champlain Bridge has additional capacity early in the morning and would be a better option at that time.
To follow our work, we invite you to visit www.mercierbridge.ca.
SOURCE: The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated
For further information:
The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI)
Office: 450 651-8771, ext. 232
Cell: 514 249-1940