Home of the Ottawa Senators renamed Canadian Tire Centre
18 Jun, 2013, 12:13 ET
Canadian Tire Family of Companies and Senators Sports & Entertainment join forces on a long-term partnership
Enhanced community and grassroots activations will help get more kids in the game
OTTAWA, June 18, 2013 /CNW/ - Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (CTC.A, CTC) and Senators Sports & Entertainment announced today a new strategic partnership that will see Ottawa's premiere sports and entertainment venue renamed to Canadian Tire Centre. This long-term agreement will cover a broad variety of activations on all levels, including community sports in the Ottawa-Gatineau region.
This all-encompassing partnership will feature on-site branding opportunities for many of the retail banners in the Canadian Tire Family of Companies, including Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Sports Experts and Mark's. This partnership also includes opportunities for Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities to work with the Sens Foundation to develop fundraising initiatives and co-branded community development programming. The agreement takes effect on July 1, 2013, and arena-related signage will be in place for the start of the 2013-14 National Hockey League (NHL) season.
"The Ottawa Senators and Canadian Tire have been partners since 1990 when our fans first welcomed the team's announced re-entry into the National Hockey League. It is a long and storied partnership we are extremely proud of, and pleased to be able to build upon," said Senators owner Eugene Melnyk. "Canadian Tire is an iconic brand and is one of the largest hockey retailers in the world. That represents a unique opportunity for both of our organizations to work side-by-side on a wide range of new marketing and community initiatives that will be good for our business, our hockey team and most of all, our fans."
"As a Family of Companies, we are on a journey to partner with leading sports organizations to promote sport and bring physical activity to the grassroots level. Our new partnership with Senators Sports & Entertainment fits perfectly with what we want to accomplish for our customers," said Duncan Fulton, senior vice president of corporate affairs for Canadian Tire Corporation. "In January we announced one of the largest commitments to amateur sport in the country with our partnership with the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic Teams as well as five National Sport Federations, including Hockey Canada. Our new partnership with the Senators further extends our authority in sports - from backyard rinks to world-class arenas, no other retailer gets hockey like we do."
Major Partnership Components:
- Naming rights to Canadian Tire Centre, including building, digital, scoreboard and in-ice signage
- Support for community-based programs including: Future Sens Program, I Love to Skate Program, Canadian Forces Appreciation Night, Jumpstart Game Nights and the Bell Capital Cup
- An enhanced partnership between Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities and the Sens Foundation that will provide families in financial need with support in getting their children enrolled in organized sport and recreation
- The installation of Capital Tickets kiosks at select Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Sports Experts and Mark's stores in the region to provide easy access to all of Senators Sports & Entertainment's events taking place at Canadian Tire Centre
- Canadian Tire becomes the title sponsor of Senators Sportsnet broadcasts, with reach into Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada
- Naming rights for rink pads and advertising at the Bell Sensplex and soon-to-be built Richcraft Sensplex
- Sport Chek and Sports Experts become the exclusive 'Team Development Sponsor,' tied to the NHL Draft, Development Camp, Rookie Camp and Ottawa Senators Training Camp
- Mark's has the opportunity to become the official outfitter of Canadian Tire Centre, outfitting event and facility staff with assorted apparel from Denver Hayes
- Player and coach involvement in community events hosted by Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Sports Experts and Mark's
- Access to major consumer promotions, including 'Ride the Canadian Tire Zamboni' and exclusive offers for customers parking their cars at Canadian Tire Centre
- Frank Finnigan's restaurant in the facility's main concourse to be redesigned as a sports bar and renamed 'Sport Chek Sports Bar & Grill'
- The arena's kitchens will become known as the official 'Canadian Tire Kitchen,' where the company will test new equipment and produce customer-facing marketing materials.
Canadian Tire has been serving the Ottawa-Gatineau region for nearly 80 years. Its local Ottawa Dealers were founding sponsors in re-establishing the Ottawa Senators in 1990 and have been financial supporters of the team ever since.
The soon to be renamed Canadian Tire Centre is a 19,153-seat multi-purpose sports and entertainment facility that has welcomed millions of visitors since it opened in January 1996. In addition to being the home to the Ottawa Senators, the National Basketball League of Canada's Ottawa SkyHawks and the temporary home of the Ontario Hockey League's Ottawa 67's, the venue serves as the primary destination for concerts and family events for the National Capital Region.
July of 2013 is expected to be one of the biggest months in the history of the venue, when Paul McCartney, The Eagles, Justin Bieber and KISS will all perform in Ottawa. In 2014, it will host the Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships, leveraging Canadian Tire's existing partnership with Skate Canada.
About Canadian Tire Corporation
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX:CTC.A) (TSX:CTC) is a Family of Companies that includes Canadian Tire Retail, Partsource, Gas+, FGL Sports (Sport Chek, Hockey Experts, Sports Experts, National Sports, Intersport and Atmosphere), Mark's and Canadian Tire Financial Services. With more than 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets from coast-to-coast, our primary retail business categories - Automotive, Living, Fixing, Playing and Apparel - are supported and strengthened by our Financial Services division. Over 85,000 people are employed across the Canadian Tire enterprise, which was founded in 1922 and remains one of Canada's most recognized and trusted brands. For more information, visit Corp.CanadianTire.ca.
About Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities
Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities is a national charitable program dedicated to providing financially disadvantaged kids with the opportunity to experience the benefits of organized sport and recreation. With an extensive, national network of more than 315 local chapters, it provides families in communities across Canada with a hand-up to help cover the costs associated with registration, equipment and/or transportation.
Supported by the Canadian Tire Family of Companies, which includes Canadian Tire Retail, Partsource, Gas+, FGL Sports (Sport Chek, Sports Experts, National Sports, Atmosphere, Intersport and Hockey Experts), Mark's and Canadian Tire Financial Services, Jumpstart has enabled more than 590,000 Canadian kids to get in the game since 2005. For more information or to lend your support, visit Jumpstart.CanadianTire.ca.
About the Ottawa Senators
One of seven NHL franchises based in Canada, the Ottawa Senators returned to the league in 1992 following a 58-year absence. Ottawa won 11 Stanley Cups during its original reign from 1903 to 1934. The modern-day Senators have captured four titles in the Northeast Division and a Presidents' Trophy in 2002-03. Since 1992, the Senators together with its foundation, alumni, partners and fans have contributed more than $70 million to community initiatives in the National Capital Region. For more information, visit www.ottawasenators.com.
About the Sens Foundation
Founded in 1998, the Sens Foundation, a strategic partner of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club, is led by a small team of fundraisers, event planners, and communications professionals, partnered with more than 2,500 community volunteers, who are passionately committed to raising funds that enable positive life changes for children in eastern Ontario and western Quebec in the areas of education, health care, sports and recreation. For more information or to make a donation, visit www.sensfoundation.com.
Image with caption: "Senators owner Eugene Melnyk and Canadian Tire Corporation's Duncan Fulton, Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs, exchange hockey jerseys at a press conference announcing a new long-term partnership that will see Ottawa's premiere sports and entertainment venue renamed to Canadian Tire Centre. (CNW Group/CANADIAN TIRE CORPORATION, LIMITED)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130618_C9132_PHOTO_EN_28137.jpg
SOURCE: CANADIAN TIRE CORPORATION, LIMITED
For further information:
Sarah Van Lange, Canadian Tire Corporation: c) 647-287-9582, [email protected]
Brian Morris, Ottawa Senators: c) 613-599-0289, [email protected]
Share this article