This one-day fundraising extravaganza -benefiting KidSport BC™- features sports day activities (with a Canadian 80s twist) and a live charity auction
VANCOUVER, Sept. 10, 2012 /CNW/ - Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers (NYSE andTSX: RBA), the world's largest industrial auctioneer, will host the third annual Corporate Kids Challenge and live charity auction to benefit KidSport BC™ on Saturday, September 15, 2012. Among the donated auction items: a vintage collector's car valued at $50,000, a NASCAR dream trip, a Vancouver helicopter tour and more. Last year, the one-day fundraising event raised over CA$530,000 for KidSport BC™, which helps underprivileged children participate in organized sports.
"This is the biggest fundraiser of any KidSport™ chapter in Canada," said Pete Quevillon, Director, KidSport BC™. "Thanks to the collaboration of various organizations, athletes and local celebrities, we will help even more kids from our province participate in the next season of sport."
This year's event will welcome Olympic athletes and local celebrities to participate in the sports day challenge on various corporate teams. BC government representatives are also planning to attend the event. Some of the Olympians and celebrities participating in the event include:
- Ryan Cochrane - Two time Canadian Olympic medal winner in long distance swimming
- Cindy Klassen - Canada's most decorated Olympian, holding six medals in long track speed skating
- Denny Morrison - Canadian Olympic gold medalist in long track speed skating
- Carol Huynh - Two time Canadian Olympic medal winner in freestyle wrestling
- Tommy Europe - Two time all-star defensive back in the CFL and host of TV's "The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp", "Bulging Brides" and "Tommy Europe Fitness"
- Davis Sanchez - Retired NFL and CFL cornerback
This old-school sports day event will feature 22 corporate sponsor teams of 10 -15 members dressed in their best Canadian 80's gear competing against each other in unique athletic challenges. Teams include:
- Burnaby Firefighters
- Ernst & Young
- McCarthy Tétrault
- WPCG Consulting
- Ventana Construction
- Hilton Vancouver Metrotown
- Triple O's
- River Rock Casino Resort
- Ritchie Bros. Financial Services
- Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers
Members of the public are welcome to attend the sports-day to cheer on the corporate teams, athletes and celebrities! After the event, Ritchie Bros. will conduct a live charity auction featuring a 1983 Excalibur vintage collector's car (valued at $50,000), a NASCAR dream trip with Cameron Hayley, a Vancouver helicopter tour and other unique auction items donated by local companies and members of the business community. The auction, which will take place on site during the event at 5:30 pm, is unreserved — meaning every item sells to the highest bidder, regardless of price. Registration to bid is free; you can register and bid in the auction one of three ways:
- In person if taking part in the sports day at the Corporate Kids Challenge event (Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers International Head Office at 9500 Glenlyon Parkway, Burnaby V5J 0C6)
- Live and in real time using Ritchie Bros.' online bidding service at www.rbauction.com (open to all members of the public)
- By placing a proxy bid ahead of the auction (email: [email protected]) (open to all members of the public)
"At Ritchie Bros. we believe in doing what is right and having fun," added Peter Blake, CEO of Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers and Ritchie Bros. Corporate Kids Challenge team member. "KidSport does the right thing everyday by making sure there are no kids left on the sidelines — we are proud and honoured to be able to help an organization like this one."
KidSport™ is a community-based sports funding program that provides grants for financially disadvantaged children ages 6 to 18 to participate in amateur sport and learn valuable life lessons and skills. The organization operates 175 chapters across Canada, 40 of which are based British Columbia. For more information about KidSport™ and how you can help in your community, please visit www.kidsport.ca.
About Ritchie Bros.
Established in 1958, Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers (NYSE andTSX: RBA) is the world's largest industrial auctioneer, selling more equipment to on-site and online bidders than any other company in the world. Ritchie Bros. offers services that enable the world's builders to easily and confidently exchange equipment. The Company conducts hundreds of unreserved public auctions each year, selling a broad range of used and unused equipment, trucks and other assets utilized in the construction, transportation, agricultural, material handling, mining, forestry, petroleum and marine industries. Ritchie Bros. has over 110 locations in more than 25 countries, including 44 auction sites worldwide. The Company maintains a website at www.rbauction.com and sponsors an equipment wiki at www.RitchieWiki.com.
Attention Media: You are welcome to attend this charity fundraising event (an opening ceremony will take place at 1:00 pm prior to the sports day events and the live charity auction begins at 5:30 pm).
Expected visuals include:
- Speeches by BC government dignitaries as well as KidSport BC™ and Ritchie Bros. officials
- Parade of corporate sponsor teams dressed in their best Canadian 80's gear
- Corporate sponsor teams competing in various sports day challenges
- Live charity auction with a live auctioneer and animated "bid catchers" yelling "YUP!" and raising their hands to relay the bids from the crowd to the auctioneer
- Award ceremony recognizing the big players of the event
- Live music to finish the evening
- Interviews with Olympic athletes, celebrities, government dignitaries as well as KidSport BC™ and Ritchie Bros. officials
SOURCE: Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers
For further information:
Kim Schulz, Manager, Corporate Communications
Phone +1.604.788.5379 or email [email protected]