CALGARY, Feb. 25, 2013 /CNW/ - As part of its mandate to examine the issue of possible improper preferential access to publicly funded health care, the Alberta Health Services Preferential Access Inquiry sought the opinions of experts to assist in its work.
Inquiry staff posed questions about preferential access to experts from the fields of medicine, health care administration, ethics and political science who, in turn, provided their answers and opinions in the form of written reports.
The questions asked of the experts request a definition of improper preferential access to publically funded health care and are intended to explore possible results of improper preferential access. Experts were asked to identify health care system safeguards (existing or recommended) that might prevent improper preferential access.
The experts will present their views and discuss the issues in the context of panels conducted as part of the public hearings on February 26 and 27, 2013.
Copies of the reports of all of the experts will be made available on February 26, 2013.
On Tuesday February 26, 2013 the Inquiry will hear from a panel consisting of:
- Dr. H. Brian Goldman, M.D.
- Staff emergency physician, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto
- Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto
- Host, White Coat, Black Art, a CBC Radio One show about the culture of modern medicine
- Lynette Reid, PhD
- Associate Professor, Department of Bioethics, Faculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University
- Member, Division of Medical Education, Dalhousie University
- Member, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Dalhousie University
- Pam Whitnack, MBA
- President, Whitnack and Associates Ltd.
- Executive Vice-President, Rural, Public and Community Health, Alberta Health Services, 2008-2011
- Chief Executive Officer, Chinook Health Region, 2005-2008
On Wednesday February 27, 2013 the Inquiry will hear from a panel consisting of:
- Dr. David A. Alter, MD, PhD, FRCPC
- Cardiologist, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute - University Hospital Network
- Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Senior Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences
- John Church, PhD
- Associate Professor, Department of Political Science and Centre for Health Promotion Studies, University of Alberta
- Principal, JC Paragon Consulting Services Ltd.
- Dr. Owen Robert Heisler MD, MSc, MBA, FRCSC, FACS, FCCHL, FACPE
- Assistant Registrar, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta
- General Surgeon, Red Deer, Alberta 1988-2008
- Assistant Clinical Professor, University of Alberta
- Site Medical Director Red Deer Regional Hospital, Dec 2004-March 2006
SOURCE: Health Services Preferential Access Inquiry
For further information:
Health Services Preferential Access Inquiry
Phone: (403) 270-2059