Minister Leitch launches new call for proposals for projects to prevent and respond to gender-based violence
VANCOUVER, Feb. 11, 2015 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, along with the Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of National Revenue, today invited organizations across Canada to propose new projects that will help end violence against women and girls. The Minister made the announcement during a visit to the Ending Violence Association of British Columbia (EVA BC) in Vancouver.
The Government of Canada will be supporting projects selected through a new call for proposals by Status of Women Canada entitled Working in Partnership to End Violence against Women and Girls. These projects will help end violence against women and girls by fostering partnerships within and among communities, and creating positive change that prevents violence.
Applications for funding are accepted online. Applicants are invited to click on "Start Now" and follow the instructions to proceed with an online application.
Minister Leitch also announced $157,000 in Government of Canada support for the EVA BC's two-year project to improve service responses for women and girls who have experienced sexual violence in British Columbia. EVA BC will work to establish and coordinate best practices to enhance the ability of crisis centres throughout the province to respond to the needs of women who come forward following a sexual assault. The organization will also collaborate with organizations from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta to improve responses to sexual assault through the development of an inter-provincial collaboration strategy to share knowledge and best practices throughout western Canada.
This project is being funded under a previous Call for Proposals entitled Cyber and Sexual Violence: Helping Communities Respond.
- Organizations are invited to apply for funding under Status of Women Canada's new call for proposals, Working in Partnership to End Violence against Women and Girls.
- The deadline for applications to be submitted is noon (12:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time) on April 17, 2015.
- EVA BC is receiving $157,000 for their new project to respond to sexual violence against women and girls in British Columbia.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has provided more than $153 million through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada for community-based projects. Of this amount $71 million has gone to projects that prevent violence against women and girls.
"Our Government is committed to ending violence against women and girls in all its forms and is taking concrete action to stop violence wherever it occurs. Under this new call for proposals we will work with organizations across the country to develop community solutions that both prevent violence and improve services for victims."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"This Government of Canada initiative will support projects that help make communities across the country safer and more secure for everyone. By encouraging service organizations work in partnership with key stakeholders in the community, this new call for proposals will ensure the development of effective, local strategies for stopping violence against women and girls."
The Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, P.C., Q.C., M.P.,
Minister of National Revenue
"Women who have been sexually assaulted need the full support of their community and access to specialized services to help them rebuild their lives. This Government of Canada funding will allow us to work with communities throughout British Columbia to ensure that service providers have the knowledge and expertise they need to help women and girls who have been victimized by sexual violence. "
Ending Violence Association of British Columbia
- Start your application now.
- Application Guide
- Is the Women's Program the Right Match for Me?
- Information about the call for proposals Working in Partnership to End Violence against Women and Girls
- Information about the previous call for proposals Cyber and Sexual Violence: Helping Communities Respond
- Information About Status of Women Canada at women.gc.ca
Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Acting Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810