Minister Leitch announces new investments to promote opportunities for women in the construction sector
ST. JOHN'S, Aug. 11, 2014 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, announced Government of Canada support to increase opportunities in non-traditional occupations for women in Newfoundland and Labrador's construction sector.
The Women in Resource Development Corporation (WRDC) is receiving funding for a project to improve economic opportunities for women in the building trades in Newfoundland and Labrador. The project will include the development of an action plan with local stakeholders such as industry, unions, and government to create opportunities to support the advancement of women in the sector. The plan will also address some known barriers such as the need for support in transitioning from education to employment. Identified best practices will be shared with other stakeholders to encourage even greater recruitment, retention and advancement of women in the construction sector.
This project was selected under the theme of advancing women in non-traditional occupations as part of the Government of Canada's recent call for proposals entitled Opening Doors: Economic Opportunities for Women.
- Status of Women Canada is providing $250,000 to the Women in Resource Development Corporation for this 36-month project.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested more than $54 million through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity. This includes funding of over $12 million for projects that support women in non-traditional occupations.
- Through Status of Women Canada, federal funding of community-based projects has nearly doubled since 2006-2007, supporting more than 720 projects across Canada.
- Women now represent nearly half the Canadian workforce, yet continue to be under-represented in certain fields. In 2012, women represented only 4% of those working in construction trades, and 20% of those working in primary industries such as forestry, mining, oil and gas.
"Our Government is taking actions that support new economic opportunities for Canadian women across the country, and positioning them for greater prosperity. That's why we are proud to fund community projects like this one with the Women in Resource Development Corporation which open new doors for women in the construction sector."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"We are pleased to partner with the Government of Canada on this project to provide new economic options for women in Newfoundland and Labrador. By collaborating with local partners, we will identify promising opportunities to help make the construction sector a new path to prosperity for women in our community."
Women in Resource Development Corporation
- Information About Status of Women Canada at women.gc.ca
- Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
- Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
- Subscribe to our E-Newsletter: Leading the Way
- Photos of Minister Leitch are available.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, A/Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, [email protected] ; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810