ST. JOHN'S, March 17, 2015 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Canada's Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, today announced Government of Canada funding for a new project to expand economic opportunities for women entrepreneurs in the natural resource industries in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs is receiving a total of $246,296 in Government of Canada funding for their project to increase economic opportunities for women entrepreneurs working in natural resources, including the energy, mining, and oil and gas sectors. The organization will work in partnership with women and industry stakeholders to address the barriers – such as accessing contracting opportunities and new markets – faced by women business owners. The project will create connections between women entrepreneurs and procurement managers, and will pilot approaches to ensure they can benefit from opportunities provided through established provincial gender equity and diversity plans. These efforts will lead to the creation of a business development model to help women entrepreneurs diversify and increase opportunities to grow their businesses.
This project was selected through the Government of Canada's call for proposals entitled Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success.
- The Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs is receiving a total of $246,296 in Government of Canada funding for their project to increase economic opportunities for women entrepreneurs in the natural resource industries.
- The call for proposals Economic Prosperity: Positioning Women for Success supports projects in three thematic areas, namely: Increasing or strengthening economic opportunities for entrepreneurial and professional women; advancing women in various sectors through mentorship/sponsorship; and collaborating to advance the financial preparedness of women.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has provided over $153 million through Status of Women Canada for community-based projects. Of this amount, more than $60 million has been provided for projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity.
- Federal funding of community-based projects through Status of Women Canada has nearly doubled since 2006-2007, supporting more than 750 projects across Canada.
"Our Government is committed to supporting women entrepreneurs, as they create prosperity for themselves, their families and their communities. We are proud to support this new project, which will strengthen the natural resources sector in Newfoundland and Labrador by expanding opportunities for women-owned businesses."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P.
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"The natural resource industries in Newfoundland and Labrador are growing, and women entrepreneurs have an important role to play in their success, both now and in the future. This Government of Canada funding will allow us to work closely with our partners in the sector to identify and address any barriers that are preventing women from expanding their businesses and will help strengthen this sector further."
Paula Sheppard, Chief Executive Officer
Newfoundland and Labrador Organization of Women Entrepreneurs
- Information on the Women's Program of Status of Women Canada
- Information on Status of Women Canada at women.gc.ca
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, firstname.lastname@example.org; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810, Ce texte est également disponible en français.