Minister Leitch highlights federal actions to help women succeed at the Bloomberg Canada Economic Summit
TORONTO, May 21, 2015 /CNW/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Canada's Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, spoke today about the important role of women in the economy during an armchair discussion at the Bloomberg Canada Economic Summit.
Minister Leitch highlighted federal actions that help women succeed in all sectors of the economy, including entrepreneurship and leadership positions. For example, Economic Action Plan 2015 announced an Action Plan for Women Entrepreneurs to help connect women with the tools they need to succeed in business. This Action Plan sets out a series of initiatives including mentorship, networking opportunities, and increased access to financing and international markets. This includes Status of Women Canada's new campaign entitled It Starts with One—Be Her Champion, which challenges leaders in all fields to make a difference in a woman's life by pledging to be her champion or mentor. It also includes enhanced international trade missions for women entrepreneurs looking to expand overseas and attract new investments, the first of which was led by Minister Leitch to São Paulo, Brazil, earlier this month.
Economic Action Plan 2015 also commits to modernizing Canada's corporate governance framework. This will include proposed amendments to the Canada Business Corporations Act to promote gender diversity among public companies using the "comply or explain" model of disclosure.
- Status of Women Canada launched a new campaign in April 2015 called It Starts with One—Be Her Champion, which challenges leaders in all fields to make a difference in a woman's life by pledging to be her champion or mentor.
- Minister Leitch led a trade mission for women entrepreneurs to São Paulo, Brazil, from May 17 to 20.
- On March 23rd and 24th, 2015, the Government of Canada hosted a forum for women entrepreneurs entitled Investing in the Future in Ottawa. It included a day-and-a-half program of inspiring role models, practical workshops, and valuable networking and mentorship opportunities for women starting or growing a business.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested over $162 million through Status of Women Canada in support of more than 780 community-based projects across Canada. This includes more than $68 million for projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity.
"Our Government remains committed to creating jobs and opportunities for all Canadians and will continue to support the advancement of women in our economy. We all benefit when women succeed. These successes create jobs and growth in communities across the country, while inspiring other women and girls through their example. When women succeed, Canada succeeds."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P.
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
- Information about It Starts with One—Be Her Champion
- Information about Status of Women Canada at women.gc.ca
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, [email protected]; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810