Minister Leitch highlights role of women entrepreneurs in Canada's economic success
TORONTO, July 25, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, today applauded the valuable contributions women entrepreneurs make to Canada's economic success at the Mary Kay Seminar 2014 in Toronto. The Minister also took the opportunity to highlight Government of Canada efforts to promote economic and leadership opportunities for Canadian women, from skilled trades to corporate boards.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
- RBC Economics reports that as of 2011 the contribution of majority-owned women's businesses was an estimated $148 billion.
- According to BMO Financial Group, women-owned businesses employ over 1.5 million Canadians.
- In 2011, women held majority ownership of 16% of small and medium-sized businesses in Canada. That same year, women had sole-ownership of 14% of small businesses, and 4% of medium-sized businesses.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested over $54 million through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada in projects that focus on improving women's economic security and prosperity, including more than $9 million for projects that focus on women's entrepreneurship.
"Women are key to Canada's economic success in so many ways, including as entrepreneurs. We all benefit when women-led businesses succeed. These businesses help create jobs and growth in communities all across our country, while inspiring other women and girls through their example."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_swc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: CanadaSWC
Subscribe to our E-Newsletter: Leading the Way
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE: Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Press Secretary, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, firstname.lastname@example.org; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810