Government of Canada investments support communities and businesses in Nunavut, NWT, and Yukon
IQALUIT, NU, July 31, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, Minister Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of the Environment, Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency and Minister for the Arctic Council announced that since its creation in 2009 to the end of March 2015 CanNor has invested over $222 million in more than 1000 projects to foster economic development across the North.
CanNor has provided support for community involvement in major resource development projects, contributed to business capacity and innovation, improved local infrastructure, helped develop training that is tailored to the needs of local job markets, and enhanced participation in local labour markets. CanNor funding has also supported community infrastructure projects such as daycare and community centres, and energy upgrades.
- In Nunavut, CanNor has invested more than $81M in over 300 projects across the territory.
- In the Northwest Territories, CanNor has invested more than $77M in almost 400 projects across the territory.
- In Yukon, CanNor has invested almost $52M in more than 330 projects across the territory.
- The Government, through CanNor, also made an investment in 2012 of $27 million over five years to expand adult basic education in the territories through the Northern Adult Basic Education Program (NABEP). The number of Northerners educated through NABEP is 2800.
- In 2015-16 the Government of Nunavut will receive $1.5 billion through major transfers – an increase of $649 million from 2005-06.
- In 2015-16 the Government of Northwest Territories will receive $1.3 billion through major transfers – an increase of $524 million from 2005-06.
- In 2015-16 the Government of Yukon will receive $923 million through major transfers – an increase of $390 million from 2005-06.
"As someone born and raised in the Arctic I am proud to be part of a Government that is committed to supporting economic development in the North. That is why our Government has been providing record amounts of funding to all three territories since CanNor's creation. By building the capacity of individuals, organizations and northern businesses, improving infrastructure, and strengthening key economic sectors, CanNor has helped to create jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for Northerners and all Canadians."
Minister of the Environment, Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency and Minister for the Arctic Council
PM announces measures to promote northern agriculture
CanNor supports a diversified northern economy
CanNor works to help develop a diversified, sustainable and dynamic economy across Canada's three territories, and delivers on its northern mandate through funding programs, the Northern Projects Management Office and by undertaking policy and research.
For more information about CanNor, visit cannor.gc.ca
For more information on Canada's Northern Strategy, visit: northernstrategy.ca
SOURCE Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency (CanNor)
For further information: Office of the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq : Ted Laking, 819-997-1441; Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency : Kathleen McLeod, Communications Manager, 867-975-3751