OTTAWA, May 20, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, concluded a successful trade mission to Brazil that was focused specifically on supporting Canadian women business leaders.
The focus of this trade mission to Sᾶo Paulo, Brazil, from May 17 to 20, 2015, was on key sectors including agriculture and agri-food products, education, information and communications technology and life sciences. It included representatives from nine businesses and organizations across Canada. Among the trade mission's key activities were roundtable discussions between the Canadian participants and Brazilian businesswomen, direct business-to-business contacts, and outreach to Canadian companies already doing business in Brazil.
Prior to the trade mission, Minister Leitch attended the 2015 Global Summit of Women from May 14 to 15, 2015 in Sao Paulo. At this event, the Minister highlighted several important actions in Economic Action Plan 2015 that build on the Government of Canada's track record of support for women's economic success.
- Trade missions are an important component of the federal government's pro-trade initiatives to support SMEs under Canada's Global Markets Action Plan. They open doors, facilitate business-to-business contacts, and provide information and tools for all Canadian exporters, especially small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
- Key numbers of this trade mission:
- Over 50 B2B meetings were organized with Brazilian companies and organizations for the Canadian participants.
- The networking reception attracted more than 75 Brazilian contacts to meet with the Canadian delegation.
- The next all-women trade delegation will take place from June 22 to 26 in Austin, Texas. For more information please visit: http://www.tradecommissioner.gc.ca/eng/document.jsp?did=157022
"Our Government's number one priority is creating jobs, growth, and long-term prosperity. That's why I was pleased to lead this trade mission to Brazil which has opened new doors of opportunity for the outstanding Canadian businesswomen who participated. We know that when women succeed, the Canadian economy succeeds, and that's great for Canada."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P.
- Global Markets Action Plan
- Canadian Business Women Trade Mission to Brazil
- Business Women in International Trade (BWIT)
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
Image with caption: "The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch opening the Business-café session with participants of the Canadian Business Women Trade Mission to Brazil (CNW Group/Status of Women Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150520_C6595_PHOTO_EN_16807.jpg
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, [email protected]; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810