OTTAWA, Nov. 9, 2015 /CNW/ - The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (the Agency) must decide whether a federal environmental assessment is required for the proposed Hardisty Rail Terminal Project, located southeast of Hardisty, Alberta.
To assist in making its decision, the Agency is seeking comments from the public on the project and its potential effects on the environment. All comments received will be considered public.
Written comments must be submitted by November 30, 2015 to:
Hardisty Rail Terminal Project
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
9700 Jasper Avenue, Suite 1145
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3
Email: [email protected]
- The Agency is seeking public comments on the summary of the project description for the proposed Hardisty Rail Terminal Project.
- As a next step, the Agency will post a decision on its website stating whether an environmental assessment is required. If one is required, the public will have three more opportunities to comment on the project.
- The Agency administers the federal environmental assessment process, which identifies the environmental effects of proposed projects and measures to address those effects, in support of sustainable development.
- Projects subject to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 are assessed using a science-based approach.
- USD Terminals Canada II ULC is proposing to construct and operate nine new rail tracks and loading infrastructure at its existing Hardisty Rail Terminal, located approximately 10 kilometres southeast of Hardisty, Alberta. As proposed, the Hardisty Rail Terminal Project would allow the existing facility, which currently transloads light crude oil from pipeline to railcar, to handle a wider variety of products such as propane, butane, and heavy crude oil. The facility's loading capacity would also increase, going from two to four 120-car trains per day and allowing shipments to be brought in by truck.
- More information on this project is available on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Registry website, reference number 80113.
- Hardisty Rail Terminal Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Basics of Environmental Assessment (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
SOURCE Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
For further information: Karen Fish, Communications Advisor, Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency, 613-957-0278; Karen,[email protected]; Follow us on Twitter: @CEAA_ACEE