EDSON, AB, Sept. 11, 2017 /CNW/ - Seniors will soon have access to more affordable housing options in Edson and greater Yellowhead County. The governments of Canada and Alberta are investing almost $18.4 million for the renovation and construction of 82 units at Parkland Lodge in Edson for seniors living on low incomes. This development is jointly owned by The Evergreens Foundation and the Province of Alberta.
The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with Honourable Lori Sigurdson, Minister of Alberta Seniors and Housing made the announcement today.
- Total estimated cost of the development is approximately $26.7 million.
- The governments of Canada and Alberta will provide a combined investment of approximately $18.4 million, under the Investment in Affordable Housing (IAH) 2014-2019 Agreement.
- The Evergreens Foundation, through contributions from Yellowhead County, Municipal District of Greenview, Town of Jasper, Town of Grande Cache, Town of Hinton, Town of Edson and Parkland County, is contributing approximately $8.3 million.
- Operated by The Evergreens Foundation, Parkland Lodge will contain 105 apartments, which include 18 renovated single-lodge units, 64 new supportive-living lodge units and 23 self-contained lodge units.
- The Alberta government made a capital investment of $1.2 billion over five years to build and renovate affordable housing across the province.
"Our Government remains committed to helping seniors in Alberta and throughout the country. Projects like this will provide safe, high quality affordable housing and help residents remain in their home communities, all while creating jobs and stimulating the economy. It's a big win for everyone involved." — Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
"Investing in affordable housing in Edson means seniors will be able to age in their community close to family and friends. Our government is making life better for seniors. We are pleased to partner with the federal and municipal governments as well as The Evergreens Foundation on this important project." — Lori Sigurdson, Minister of Seniors and Housing
"The town of Edson and The Evergreens Foundation board of directors are very excited for this day! It is amazing what can be accomplished when all three levels of government come together to create such a wonderful future home for our seniors. Through the support of our municipalities, The Evergreens Foundation is committed to ensuring that our seniors have the ability to age in place in their own communities." — Greg Pasychny, Mayor of Edson and Board Chair, The Evergreens Foundation
- As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to all levels of Canadian government, consumers and the housing industry. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642 or follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- The Alberta Government Ministry of Seniors and Housing fosters the development of affordable housing and supports access to housing options for Albertans most in need. The Alberta Jobs Plan will invest $1.2 billion for affordable housing capital needs over the next five years. To achieve these outcomes, the ministry works with seniors, Albertans who require housing supports, their families and caregivers, communities and other government partners. A more detailed description of the ministry and its programs and initiatives can be found at www.seniors-housing.gov.ab.ca
SOURCE Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
For further information: Media contacts: Émilie Gauduchon, Press Secretary, Office of Minister Duclos, 819-654-5546, [email protected]; John Archer, Acting Press Secretary, Ministry of Seniors and Housing, 587-985-4252, [email protected]; Gabriel Teo, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, 604-737-4137, [email protected]