Green focus lands Hydro Ottawa national award for fifth consecutive year
22 Apr, 2015, 10:56 ET
OTTAWA, April 22, 2015 /CNW/ - Hydro Ottawa was once again named a national leader among employers today for its commitment to environmental sustainability as one of Canada's Greenest Employers for 2015.
Hydro Ottawa is the largest municipally owned producer of green power in Ontario, generating renewable energy at its run-of-the-river hydroelectric plants at Chaudière Falls and at its landfill gas-to-energy stations at Trail Road and Laflèche Landfills.
Its commitment to sustainability goes beyond generating clean electricity, extending to ensuring the environment is taken into consideration throughout every facet of the company's operations. Hydro Ottawa also consistently provides its more than 319,500 customers with tips and incentives to conserve energy.
Here are a few ways Hydro Ottawa has worked to reduce its environmental footprint.
- Since releasing its Environmental Sustainability Strategy, Hydro Ottawa's greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption, based on hours worked, have decreased.
- Hydro Ottawa helps home and business owners reduce their electricity use through conservation programs. Last year, it completed 747 retrofit applications with larger commercial customers and paid out more than $6.4 million in incentives.
- The company has consistently achieved more than 90 per cent non-hazardous waste diversion and has enhanced its recycling program.
- Hydro Ottawa planted 14,414 trees in the city last year on behalf of customers who converted to E-Billing.
- Its fleet includes 74 low-carbon vehicles, including hybrids, flex-fuel and electric vehicles, and those with battery technology.
- Hydro Ottawa supports electric vehicle (EV) research and recently launched a joint report on electric mobility and adoption and prediction, setting the stage to ensure infrastructure is in place for EVs down the road.
To read more about how Hydro Ottawa practices environmental stewardship, please click here to read its Corporate Social Responsibility report.
"Developing and executing earth-friendly initiatives is not just something we check off a list – it's engrained in our company culture. We go above and beyond to ensure the impact of our operations on the environment is minimized. To be recognized on a national level for these efforts is an achievement we're very proud of and empowers us to continuously improve to make our community more sustainable."
- Bryce Conrad, President and Chief Executive Officer, Hydro Ottawa
About Hydro Ottawa
Hydro Ottawa's core businesses are delivering electricity, generating renewable power and providing energy conservation/management services. Hydro Ottawa is a community-owned, private company, delivering electricity to more than 319,500 customers in Ottawa and Casselman. It is the largest municipally-owned producer of green power in the province, with hydroelectric and landfill gas-to-energy generating facilities. Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc. (Hydro Ottawa) owns and operates two subsidiary companies, Hydro Ottawa Limited and Energy Ottawa Inc.
SOURCE Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.
Image with caption: "Chaudière Falls Ring Dam (CNW Group/Hydro Ottawa Holding Inc.)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20150422_C7180_PHOTO_EN_14612.jpg
For further information: Media contact, Daniel Séguin, Manager, Media and Public Affairs, Hydro Ottawa, Tel: 613-738-5499 ext. 345, [email protected]
Share this article