OTTAWA, Jan. 9, 2017 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada and the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) have partnered to provide more in-person services to individuals living in the Northwest Territories. Starting today, the governments have launched a 12-month service delivery pilot, in which GNWT employees at single points of service will provide in-person services for Service Canada in the communities of Fort Providence, Fort Liard and Tuktoyaktuk.
Programs and services that will be delivered as part of this pilot include: Apprenticeship Grants, the Canada Pension Plan, Employment Insurance, the Guaranteed Income Supplement, Old Age Security and the Wage Earner Protection Program.
"The Government of Canada continuously strives to improve our services to Canadians. Through our collaboration with the Government of the Northwest Territories, we are enhancing federal services to people living in the North. We continually seek opportunities to support remote communities and improve services for Canadians living in our northern territories."
– Michael V. McLeod, Member of Parliament for Northwest Territories
"The Government of the Northwest Territories' Single Window Service Centres have been an important way to make sure the residents of the Northwest Territories' small communities are able to access government programs and services where and when it works for them. We are pleased to be partnering with the Government of Canada to formally extend access to government services to these three communities."
– The Honourable Bob McLeod, Premier of the Northwest Territories, Minister of the Executive and Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Intergovernmental Relations
- Through this pilot, individuals will be able to access both Government of Canada and GNWT programs and services through a single point of service.
- Canadians in the pilot communities will benefit from increased accessibility to Government of Canada services through service provided by the GNWT, including elder home visits.
- This partnership supports the Government of Canada's pledge to work with Northerners to create a vibrant northern region with safe, healthy and prosperous communities.
- Addresses of Single Window Service Centres offering Government of Canada services are:
Fort Liard Single Window Service Centre
Fort Liard Hamlet Office
174 Valley Main Street
Fort Liard, NT X0G 0A0
Fort Providence Single Window Service Centre
1 Mackenzie Drive
Fort Providence, NT X0E 0L0
Tuktoyaktuk Single Window Service Centre
Room 103, Tuktoyaktuk Government Building
Tuktoyaktuk, NT X0E 1C0
- The hours of service are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
SOURCE Employment and Social Development Canada
For further information: For media enquiries, please contact: Mathieu Filion, Director of Communications, Office of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, P.C., M.P., Minister of Families, Children and Social Development, 819-654-5546; Media Relations Office, Employment and Social Development Canada, 819-994-5559, [email protected]; Andrew Livingstone, Senior Cabinet Communications Advisor, Government of the Northwest Territories, 867-767-9140, ext. 11091, [email protected], www.gov.nt.ca