TORONTO, May 23, 2019 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada should restrict the sale and flavours of vaping products to ensure Canadian youth never start using nicotine, Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc. recommended today in a submission to Health Canada.
The recommendations were submitted to Health Canada as it looks at potential regulatory measures to restrict the appeal and access of vaping to Canadian youth.
Vaping products are not for never-smokers, former smokers who have quit, and especially not for youth, RBH said. Nicotine is addictive and not risk-free.
RBH recommends the Government of Canada prohibit the sale of vaping products to youth.
Vaping products should only be sold to current adult smokers seeking a better alternative to cigarettes, RBH recommended. Such restrictions on non-smokers, particularly youth, would limit access to nicotine.
Flavours that are particularly appealing to youth should also be banned, RBH said. At the same time, responsible marketing practices should be developed to prohibit vaping's appeal to youth.
But smoke-free alternatives to cigarettes, such as vaping nicotine or heating tobacco, should also be regulated in a balanced way to help current adult smokers who do not quit nicotine altogether.
Some flavors are important in vaping products to help existing adult smokers switch away from harmful cigarettes. Most vaping products do not have inherent flavours and require a flavoring agent.
QUOTES: Peter Luongo, Managing Director, RBH
- "We are emphatically clear – youth should never use any nicotine-containing product, including vaping."
- "We support the government's goal of curbing youth vaping to help the next generation set Canada on a path to be smoke-free."
- "We are committed to a smoke-free future for Canadians. Our goal is to stop selling cigarettes."
- "Ottawa can bring an end to cigarettes faster by stopping a new generation from getting hooked on nicotine and helping today's generation of adult smokers who won't quit to make a change."
- "The best choice for anyone is to never start vaping, smoking or using any nicotine product.
- "If you have started vaping or smoking, you should quit entirely. If you don't quit, change."
- "Innovation and technology can help adult smokers change away from cigarettes."
- "Vaping can be a responsible alternative to cigarettes for current adult smokers."
About Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc.
Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc., an affiliate of Philip Morris International Inc., is one of Canada's leading tobacco companies and employs nearly 800 people across the country with its headquarters in Toronto and a factory in Québec City. RBH is a certified Top Employer 2019 in Canada for excellence in employee conditions.
Philip Morris International: Delivering a Smoke-Free Future
Philip Morris International (PMI) is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to create a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes with smoke-free products to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company and its shareholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, smoke-free products and associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine-containing products in markets outside the U.S. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI's smoke-free IQOS product portfolio includes heat-not-burn and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of March 31, 2019, PMI estimates that approximately 7.3 million adult smokers around the world have already stopped smoking and switched to PMI's heat-not-burn product, which is currently available for sale in 44 markets in key cities or nationwide under the IQOS brand. For more information, please visit www.pmi.com and www.pmiscience.com.
SOURCE Rothmans, Benson & Hedges Inc.
For further information: Media Contact: For more information or to arrange an interview, contact: Sarah Tratt, Manager, Media Relations, Tel: (416) 986-4432, E-mail: [email protected]