OTTAWA, June 15, 2017 /CNW/ - Gender-based violence is a significant yet preventable barrier to gender equality. To prevent and address this critical issue, the Honourable Maryam Monsef, Minister of Status of Women, today tabled the Government of Canada's response to the 7th Report of the Standing Committee on the Status of Women entitled Taking Action to End Violence Against Young Women and Girls in Canada.
The Standing Committee's report focuses on three types of violence that have a significant impact on young women and girls: harassment in public spaces, sexual violence on post-secondary campuses, and cyberviolence. It helps inform the federal government's current and planned actions on the issue of gender-based violence.
The Government's Response to the Standing Committee's report highlights a range of federal actions being undertaken, which align closely with the Committee's recommendations to help ensure that young women and girls in Canada can live free of violence. The Strategy to address and prevent gender-based violence will be announced soon.
"Living a life free of violence is a basic human right for all, including women and girls. To address and prevent gender-based violence, we must strengthen our efforts and collaboration. We all agree that our actions must be informed by evidence. I would like to thank the Standing Committee and the many witnesses who participated at the Committee for your important work in examining the ways in which violence affects young women and girls in Canada. You have contributed greatly to the removal of a significant barrier to gender equality."
The Honourable Maryam Monsef, Minister of Status of Women
- The 7th Report of the Standing Committee on the Status of Women entitled Taking Action to End Violence Against Young Women and Girls in Canada, was tabled in the House of Commons on March 20, 2017.
- Budget 2017 committed support for a strategy to address and prevent gender-based violence. It includes $100.9 million over five years, and $20.7 million in ongoing annual funding, to boost Canada's capacity for addressing and preventing this critical issue.
- There will be ongoing collaboration with provincial and territorial governments, as well as Indigenous organizations and other key stakeholders to inform the path forward.
- About Gender-based Violence
- Full government's response to the 7th Report of the Standing Committee on the Status of Women
- 7th Report of the Standing Committee on the Status of Women entitled Taking Action to End Violence Against Young Women and Girls in Canada
- Government of Canada announces measures to combat gender-based violence
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
Follow us on Twitter: @Women Canada
Like us on Facebook: Women in Canada
Follow us on Instagram: women_canada
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CanadaSWC
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: Philippe Charlebois, Director of Communications, Office of the Minister of Status of Women, 613-618-8546; Léonie Roux, Public Affairs Officer, Status of Women Canada, 819-420-6821