MONCTON, NB, March 18, 2015 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, along with Mr. Robert Goguen, Member of Parliament for Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe, announced Government of Canada funding for a project to increase the participation of women in board positions with New Brunswick organizations.
The Regroupement féministe du Nouveau-Brunswick Inc. is receiving $300,000 in funding through Status of Women Canada for a project to increase women's representation on the boards of key francophone economic organizations in the province. In collaboration with its partners, the organization will use gender-based analysis to help enhance board of director recruitment policies. The result will be greater access to and retention of women on the management committees of economic development organizations.
This project was selected through the Government of Canada's call for proposals entitled Increasing Economic Prosperity for Women.
- Since 2007, the Government of Canada has invested over $153 million through Status of Women Canada in support of more than 750 community-based projects across Canada.
- Through the Women's Program at Status of Women Canada, the federal government has invested more than $60 million since 2007 in projects that promote women's economic security and prosperity. Of this amount, over $21 million has been invested in projects that advance women in leadership and decision-making roles.
- On June 26, 2014, the report of the Government of Canada's Advisory Council for Promoting Women on Boards was released. One of the report's main recommendations is that the public and private sectors in Canada aspire to seeing women attain 30% of all board positions over the next five years. It outlines a roadmap for improving the representation of women on public and private boards that will also build a stronger economy.
- Economic Action Plan 2014 outlined the Government's commitment to increasing mentorship for women looking to start their own businesses and become entrepreneurs.
- The Government of Canada is hosting a forum for women entrepreneurs entitled Investing in the Future from March 23-24, 2015 in Ottawa. It includes a day-and-a-half program of inspiring role models, practical workshops, and valuable networking and mentorship opportunities for women starting or growing a business.
"Our Government's number one priority is creating jobs, growth, and long-term prosperity. That's why we are pleased to invest in this project that will support the economic success of women in New Brunswick through greater access to board positions."
The Honourable Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P.
Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women
"This project with the Regroupement féministe du Nouveau-Brunswick Inc. will help create new economic opportunities for women through board positions across the province. By working together, we can and will help women in New Brunswick achieve economic success."
Member of Parliament, Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe
"We are pleased to partner with the Government of Canada on this project to support greater participation by women on the boards of key francophone economic organizations in New Brunswick."
Sylvie Morin, President
Regroupement féministe du Nouveau-Brunswick Inc
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: For media inquiries only: Andrew McGrath, Director of Communications, Office of the Hon. Dr. K. Kellie Leitch, P.C., O.Ont., M.P., Minister of Labour and Minister of Status of Women, Tel: 819-953-5646, firstname.lastname@example.org; For all other inquiries: Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, Tel: 819-420-6810