OTTAWA, Dec. 19, 2018 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada is dedicated to the protection of species at risk and their critical habitat from coast to coast to coast and is taking action to ensure their recovery.
The Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, the Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, has signed eight Critical Habitat Orders under the Species at Risk Act. The approved Critical Habitat Orders will allow for further protection of these at-risk species: Atlantic Whitefish, Carmine Shiner, Misty Lake Lotic Threespine Stickleback, Misty Lake Lentic Threespine Stickleback, Speckled Dace, Harbour Seal Lacs des Loups Marins, Western Silvery Minnow and Coastrange Sculpin.
A Critical Habitat Order focuses on protecting specific geographic locations and conditions essential for the survival or recovery of the species, such as where they give birth, hatch, feed or raise their young. Proposed activities in areas designated as critical habitat must be assessed on a case-by-case basis to ensure that the proposed activities will not jeopardize the survival or recovery of the species. A Critical Habitat Order applies to any ongoing or future human activities that could result in the destruction of any part of the identified critical habitat of an at-risk species.
"The protection of aquatic species is a priority for the Government of Canada, and we are taking action to make sure that the habitats they need to thrive and survive are available and remain healthy. By working together with Canadians, we can increase the likelihood that species at risk will survive and recover while maintaining our rich and diverse marine environment."
The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
- The Critical Habitat Orders protecting the critical habitat of the following species have already been the subject of public consultations and were published in Canada Gazette, Part II:
- Atlantic Whitefish and Carmine Shiner on September 19, 2018.
- Misty Lake Lotic Threespine Stickleback and Misty Lake Lentic Threespine Stickleback on October 31, 2018.
- Speckled Dace on November 14, 2018.
- The Critical Habitat Orders protecting the critical habitat of the following species have already been the subject of public consultations and will be published in Canada Gazette, Part II:
- Harbour Seal Lacs des Loups Marins, on December 24, 2018.
- Western Silvery Minnow and Coastrange Sculpin, on January 9, 2019.
- Canada Gazette website
- Learn more about the Species at Risk Public Registry
- Atlantic Whitefish
- Carmine Shiner
- Misty Lake Lotic Threespine Stickleback
- Misty Lake Lentic Threespine Stickleback
- Speckled Dace
- Harbour Seal Lacs des Loups Marins
- Western Silvery Minnow
- Coastrange Sculpin
- Follow Fisheries and Oceans Canada on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
- Subscribe to receive our news releases and more via RSS feeds. For more information or to subscribe, visit http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/rss-eng.htm
SOURCE Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) Canada
For further information: Jocelyn Lubczuk, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, 613-992-3474, firstname.lastname@example.org; Media Relations, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 613-990-7537, Media.email@example.com