$5.95-million investment will create jobs, expand research and foster innovation
VERMILION, AB, April 26, 2017 /CNW/ - The Government of Canada values the role of post-secondary institutions as they help equip young Canadians with the education and training they need for future careers that will help them join a strong, healthy middle class. Today, the Government of Canada is investing $5.95 million for a total combined investment of $16.6 million in Lakeland College, which will help foster the training needed for the well-paying middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow.
The funding was announced by the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Alice Wainwright-Stewart, President and CEO of Lakeland College.
Canada's Innovation and Skills Plan aims to make this country a global centre for innovation—one that creates jobs, drives growth across all industries and improves the lives of all Canadians. This investment exemplifies that vision in action.
Lakeland College will use the funding to create a new Dairy Learning Centre that exceeds industry standards and better supports the training and labour needs of the dairy industry. It will feature a traditional milking parlour and a robotic milking system and will focus on cow comfort for higher output production and on animal care, safety and transition cow management. Lakeland College is the only post-secondary institution in Western Canada with a dairy specialization as part of the animal science technology program.
The College will also renovate its current cattle and sheep facility into an Animal Health Clinic featuring a modern surgical suite and increased lab spaces. This facility will help the College meet the increased demand in enrollment in its Animal Health Technology and Veterinary Medical Assistant programs.
Of the $16.6 million total investment in this project:
- $5.95 million will be provided by the Government of Canada; and
- $10.65 will be provided by Lakeland College.
In total, universities and colleges throughout Alberta will receive over $500 million from the Government of Canada, the provincial government, the institutions themselves and private donors. Federal funding will be allocated through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, which will enhance and modernize research facilities on Canadian campuses and improve the environmental sustainability of these facilities.
"This historic investment by the Government of Canada is a down payment on the government's vision to position Canada as a global centre for innovation. That means making Canada a world leader in turning ideas into solutions, science into technologies, skills into middle-class jobs and start-up companies into global successes."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"We are grateful for the funding provided through the Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund. With the Government of Canada's integral support, Lakeland will enhance opportunities for our students to take the lead. Student leadership and the hands-on learning opportunities available in these facilities will help us train the next generation of skilled and responsible dairy producers, animal care professionals, agricultural leaders and work-ready grads."
– Alice Wainwright-Stewart, President and CEO, Lakeland College
- The Government of Canada is providing more than $225 million for research infrastructure at institutions across Alberta. Lakeland College has been awarded $5.95 million by the federal government to create the Dairy Learning Centre and the Animal Health Clinic.
- This investment supports Canada's Innovation and Skills Plan, which is designed to ensure our country is globally competitive in promoting research, translating ideas into new products and services, accelerating business growth and propelling entrepreneurs from the start-up phase to international success.
- The Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund supports the Government of Canada's climate change objectives by encouraging sustainable and green infrastructure projects.
- Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund website
- Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund backgrounder
- Innovation and Skills Plan
Follow Minister Bains on Twitter: @MinisterISED
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Karl W. Sasseville, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, [email protected]