Government of Canada invests in Atlantic Gateway International Marketing Initiative
Jul 31, 2015, 11:00 ET
Halifax International Airport Authority to receive funding for Altitudes East Air Access Forums following recent call for proposals
HALIFAX, July 31, 2015 /CNW/ - The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, today announced an investment of up to $110,500 to the Halifax International Airport Authority to support the Altitudes East Air Access Forums in 2015 and 2017.
Altitudes East is Atlantic Canada's leading air access forum for air service development professionals and transportation officials. The Forum takes place every second year in Halifax, and incorporates all Atlantic Provinces.
The Forum provides an excellent opportunity to bring decision makers to the region in an effort to further develop international passenger and air cargo business, while marketing and promoting Canada's Atlantic Gateway and Trade Corridor as a competitive choice for moving goods to Canada, the United States, Europe and the rest of the world.
- The Government of Canada has selected this initiative for funding consideration under the Gateways and Border Crossings Fund (GBCF) – Atlantic Gateway International Marketing Component, following a call for project proposals that was launched in December 2014.
- This funding is conditional on the signing of a contribution agreement.
- Canada's Atlantic Gateway and Trade Corridor is an integrated multimodal transportation system offering deep water ports, efficient and reliable road and rail networks with access to U.S. markets, and airports with air cargo access to/from international markets.
- The Government of Canada is committed to working with partners to implement the Atlantic Gateway and Trade Corridor Strategy, which helps position Atlantic Canada as a key entry point into North America.
- To support this Strategy, $2.2 million in contribution funding is available under the GBCF for eligible marketing projects promoting Canada's Atlantic Gateway abroad.
"Our government is proud to support Altitudes East. Promoting Canada's world-class gateways and trade corridors is essential to building a strong and competitive economy in Atlantic Canada and across the country. By advancing our Atlantic Gateway and Trade Corridor, we are pursuing long-term planning and strategic investments that are key to strengthening Canada's position in international commerce."
Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
"We truly appreciate this support from Transport Canada for our air access forum, Altitudes East. Founded and hosted by Halifax International Airport Authority since 2002, Altitudes East brings together airports, airlines, and aviation professionals from across Canada, the United States and Europe to make business connections and pursue air service opportunities that ultimately have a direct positive impact on tourism and economic growth for Atlantic Canadian communities."
Joyce Carter, President and CEO
Halifax International Airport Authority
Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to e-news or stay connected through RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr to keep up to date on the latest from Transport Canada.
This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons living with visual disabilities.
SOURCE Transport Canada
For further information: Zach Segal, Press Secretary, Office of the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport, Ottawa,613-991-0700; Media Relations, Transport Canada, Ottawa, 613-993-0055
Share this article