OTTAWA, April 16, 2012 /CNW/ - On behalf of the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, Ms. Susan Truppe, Parliamentary Secretary for Status of Women, today congratulated award recipients at the Canadian Women in Communications Annual Gala. The event is an industry tradition that brings together experts and leaders from the communications and technology industries.
"Canadian women have a long history of excellence in the fields of communications and technology and we take great pride in their valuable contributions," said Minister Ambrose. "The economy remains our top priority and we are pleased to support extraordinary women leaders like today's award recipients who contribute significantly to our country's economic recovery."
"It is an honour to participate in this exciting event, which celebrates the contributions of some of Canada's most influential women to our nation's prosperity," said Parliamentary Secretary Truppe. "The Government of Canada salutes these dynamic women leaders as we roll out our Economic Action Plan 2012 for job creation, economic growth and prosperity."
This year's award recipients are:
- CWC Woman of the Year: Karen Sheriff, President and CEO, Bell Aliant
- Employer of the Year: IBM Canada Ltd.
- Award for Sustainability in Gender Diversity: Industry Canada
- Leadership Excellence:
- Carole Brabant, Executive Director, Telefilm Canada
- Louise St. Pierre, Senior VP, Residential Services, Cogeco Cable Inc.
- Corrie Coe, Senior VP, Independent Production, Bell Media
- Virginia Gibberd, VP, Operations and Engineering, Rogers Broadcasting Ltd.
- Suzanne Harrison, Director, Strategy, Planning & Analysis, MTS Allstream
- Melissa Shin, Managing Editor, Print Publications, Rogers Publishing Ltd.
- Christine Shipton, VP, Original Content, Shaw Media
For 20 years, CWC has sought to raise the profile of women in the fields of communications and technology. They do this through a variety of means, including awards galas, mentoring programs and their Women on Boards program, and by working closely with government agencies, corporations and other associations.
For further information:
For media inquiries only:
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services and
Minister for Status of Women
For all other inquiries, contact:
Status of Women Canada
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to www.women.gc.ca.