Nation's only bank for entrepreneurs welcomes three new board directors and the reappointment of five more
OTTAWA, June 29, 2017 /CNW/ - The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and the Honourable Bardish Chagger, Minister of Small Business and Tourism, today announced the appointments and reappointments of eight experienced leaders to the Board of Directors of the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), the nation's only bank dedicated exclusively to entrepreneurs.
The members of the BDC Board of Directors are:
- Vijay Kanwar, President and Chief Financial Officer, KMH Cardiology and Diagnostic Centres Inc.; Founder, President and Director, Lambardar Inc.; and Founder, EHLinq Inc. (newly appointed)
- Brian O'Neil, Managing Partner, A Faire Aujourd'hui Inc. (newly appointed)
- Tracey Scarlett, Dean, JR Shaw School of Business, Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (newly appointed)
- Sandra Bosela, Co-Head, Managing Director and Global Head of Private Equity, OPTrust Private Markets Group (reappointed)
- Michael E. Calyniuk, President, MEC Dynamics Inc. (reappointed)
- Shahir Guindi, Montréal Managing Partner, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP (reappointed)
- Mary-Alice Vuicic, Chief Human Resources Officer, L Brands (reappointed)
- Anne Whelan, President and CEO, Seafair Capital Inc. (reappointed)
The Government of Canada's appointment process is based on openness and transparency to ensure highly qualified candidates who reflect Canada's diversity, including gender balance, are appointed.
"I congratulate the highly accomplished women and men who comprise the BDC's new board. Together, they will bring a diversity of experience and perspectives to the nation's bank for entrepreneurs. I have no doubt that under their leadership, Canada's entrepreneurs and innovators will create more jobs and business opportunities that benefit all Canadians."
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development
"Hard-working entrepreneurs and small business owners are the backbone of the economy. They create good middle-class jobs, support economic growth and drive innovation. I want to offer my congratulations to the members of this new board, who will help the BDC continue its important role of supporting Canadian entrepreneurs as they grow and create jobs in every sector of the economy."
– The Honourable Bardish Chagger, Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism
- BDC is a Crown corporation that reports to Parliament through Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
- With its 112 business centres across the country, BDC provides businesses in all industries with financing and advisory services.
- BDC is governed by an independent board of directors, which ensures the highest standard of corporate governance practices.
Follow Minister Bains on Twitter: @MinisterISED
SOURCE Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
For further information: Karl W. Sasseville, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, 343-291-2500; Media Relations, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada, 343-291-1777, email@example.com