The Only Major Conventional Network to See Year Over Year Growth
Explosive New and Returning Dramas Dominated Top 10
TORONTO, Sept. 16, 2014 /CNW/ - Global Television, home to explosive summer hits Rookie Blue, Big Brother and Under the Dome, along with the new blockbuster series Extant, was the only major conventional network to see a year over year increase in its primetime average. The powerhouse network saw a five percent increase (2+) and eight percent increase (A18-49) this summer with its programming dominating the Top 10. Global's ratings success extends to news, as Global National experienced a 22 percent increase for A18-49 and seven percent increase for A25-54, and News Hour saw a 10 percent year over year increase (A18-49).
Channel Highlights (all A18-49 unless otherwise specified):
- Global owned seven of the Top 10 programs
- Global owned half of the Top 20 programs
- Global saw year over year growth in other key demos including A25-54
- Global owns the only three dramas in the Top 10
- Global owns the only dramas ranking in the Top 20 this summer (Under the Dome, Extant, Rookie Blue, 24: Live Another Day)
- Global owns three dramas in the Top five (2+)
Programming Highlights (all A18-49 unless otherwise specified):
- Under the Dome was the number one drama of the summer and ranks in the Top three programs
- Extant was the number one new summer show and ranks in the Top 10 across multiple demos
- Rookie Blue's audience grew seven percent (2+) over last season and nine percent (A18-49)
- All three airings of Big Brother ranked in the Top 10 and won their nights (Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday)
Global heads into fall with a jam-packed line up of returning hits and hotly anticipated series premieres. Drama heavyweights Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist make their triumphant returns at 9 pm and 10 pm respectively on September 22. Global also welcomes new series to the schedule including the gripping dramas Madam Secretary (September 21) and Stalker (October 1) and the television event of the season Gracepoint (October 2).
Global is a Shaw Media Network.
About Shaw Communications Inc.
Shaw is a diversified communications and media company, providing consumers with broadband cable television, High-Speed Internet, Home Phone, telecommunications services (through Shaw Business), satellite direct-to-home services (through Shaw Direct) and engaging programming content (through Shaw Media). Shaw serves 3.2 million customers, through a reliable and extensive fibre network. Shaw Media operates one of the largest conventional television networks in Canada, Global Television, and 19 specialty networks including HGTV Canada, Food Network Canada, HISTORY® and Showcase. Shaw is traded on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges and is included in the S&P/TSX 60 Index (Symbol: TSX – SJR.B, NYSE – SJR). For more information about Shaw, please visit www.shaw.ca.
SOURCE: Global Television
For further information: For media inquiries, please contact: Ashley Applebaum, Senior Publicist, Global Television, 416-934-8481, Ashley.firstname.lastname@example.org; Jessica Gold, Publicity Manager, Global Television and Dramatic Channels, 416-966-7543, email@example.com