Government of Canada supports projects to advance gender equality
OTTAWA, Oct. 3, 2016 /CNW/ - The Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Status of Women, kicked off Women's History Month today by announcing Government of Canada support for projects to advance gender equality.
In February 2016, Status of Women Canada announced a call for proposals aimed at empowering women for political and community action. Approximately 45 community organizations have been selected to receive over $7 million in Government of Canada funding for a dozen projects to create inclusive contexts to foster women's participation and leadership in the democratic and public life of the country.
The Minister made the announcement at an event marking the launch of Women's History Month, hosted by Status of Women Canada on Parliament Hill. The event highlighted this year's theme for the month-long celebration — Because of Her. This theme pays tribute to the remarkable women who have helped shape Canadian history as activists, leaders, artists, academics, entrepreneurs, and more.
Throughout Women's History month, the Government of Canada is retelling women's stories and inspiring the next generation of Canadians to carry on the important work that still needs to be done to achieve gender equality. Canadians are encouraged to join the conversation on social media by talking about the extraordinary women who have shaped their own history, using the hashtag #BecauseOfHer.
- October is Women's History Month in Canada. It includes the International Day of the Girl on October 11 and Persons Day on October 18.
- Canadians are invited to use social media to tell us about the women and girls who have inspired them using the hashtag #BecauseOfHer.
"Women's History Month is a time to celebrate the contributions of women and girls who have shaped our country and made Canada the advanced, prosperous and enlightened society that it is today. By funding projects that will support the empowerment of women in leadership roles, we are investing in an inclusive future that will make us all proud."
The Honourable Patty Hajdu, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Status of Women
- Status of Women Canada – Women's Program
- Information on Support for Women's Empowerment
- Celebrate Women's History Month
For news releases and information on Status of Women Canada, go to women.gc.ca.
Follow us on Twitter: @Women Canada
Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CanadaSWC
We are now on Facebook! Connect with us by visiting Women in Canada and get all the latest news on Government of Canada initiatives, activities and information related to women in Canada. Like our page and invite your friends to join the conversation: facebook.com/womencanada
Organizations funded through Support for Women's Empowerment
Approximately 45 community organizations will receive over $7 million in Government of Canada funding for a dozen projects to create inclusive contexts to foster women's participation and leadership in the democratic and public life of the country.
The following organizations will receive funding:
- Across Boundaries: An Ethnoracial Mental Health Centre
- Alice Housing
- Assemblée de groupes de femmes d'interventions régionales (AGIR)
- Be the Peace Institute
- Canadian Child Care Federation
- Centre de femmes du Haut-Richelieu
- Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation in Ontario
- Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada
- Childcare Resource and Research Unit
- Comité logement Lachine-LaSalle
- Elizabeth Fry Society of Mainland NS
- Equal Voice
- Fédération des coopératives d'habitation intermunicipale du Montréal métropolitain
- Forté Communication
- Girls Action Foundation
- Groupe des médias étudiants de l'Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Groupe Femmes, Politique et Démocratie
- GRT Réseau 2000+
- Health Nexus Santé
- Institute for Research and Development on Inclusion and Society
- M.O.C. Consultants Inc.
- METRAC: Action on Violence
- Native Women's Resource Center of Toronto
- New Brunswick Coalition for Pay Equity, Inc.
- New Brunswick South Central Transition House & Second Stage Coalition Inc.
- PEI Coalition for Women in Government
- Promotion des estriennes pour initier une nouvelle équité sociale (P.E.P.I.N.E.S.)
- Regroupement féministe du Nouveau-Brunswick Inc.
- Réseau femmes et politique municipale de la Capitale-Nationale
- Riverdale Immigrant Women's Centre
- Sistering - A Women's Place
- Table de concertation des groupes de femmes de la Montérégie
- Table de concertation des groupes de femmes du Bas-St-Laurent
- Table de concertation du mouvement des femmes de la Mauricie (TCMFM)
- Table régionale des centres de Femmes de Montréal métropolitain Laval
- The Association of Black Social Workers
- The Empowerment Council
- The Marguerite Centre
- West Coast LEAF
- Winding Path Inc.
- Women's Centre for Social Justice
- Women's Legal Education and Action Fund (LEAF)
- Women's Network PEI
- Young Women's Christian Association of Halifax (YWCA Halifax)
- YWCA Metro Vancouver
SOURCE Status of Women Canada
For further information: Inquiries: Matt Pascuzzo, Press Secretary, Office of the Minister of Status of Women, 613-291-5561; Nanci-Jean Waugh, Director General, Communications and Public Affairs, Status of Women Canada, 819-420-6810