THORNHILL, ON, Nov. 13, 2012 /CNW/ - It is time to get your vehicle winter ready before the deep freeze sets in. CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is encouraging drivers to follow these important tips to avoid being left in the cold this winter.
- Test your battery
- Service your brakes
- Check your tire pressure
- Inspect belts and hoses
- Replace worn windshield wipers
- Pack an emergency kit
- Install four matching winter tires
"The best time to switch from all-season tires to winter tires is when the temperature reaches 7°C or below," said Silvana Aceto, Media & PR Specialist, CAA SCO.
Getting a grip on winter tires:
- Winter tires help reduce braking distance on cold, wet, ice and snow covered roads. Depending on the speed and the weather, the braking distance of winter tires can be up to 25 per cent shorter or two vehicle lengths compared to all-season tires.
- Winter tires contain silica, a compound that keeps tires flexible in cold temperatures and ensures excellent grip and braking on wet roads.
- Winter tires should only be installed in sets of four. With only two winter tires, your vehicle's handling, stability and braking are not fully optimized.
- CAA Insurance policyholders save 5 per cent on their auto insurance premium when four winter tires are installed.
- If you are a CAA Home and Auto Insurance policyholder, tire coverage will be included in your home policy at renewal time. The additional coverage for tires extends past the existing manufacturer's warranty.
Meanwhile, when you buy four tires at a CAA Car Care Centre you will receive a free CAA Basic membership. Existing members will get a Car Care Centre voucher of equal value.
CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club offering insurance, travel, automotive care and roadside services. There are more than 1.9 million CAA members in South Central Ontario and over 5.6 million members in Canada. We're more than Roadside Assistance. We're Life-side Assistance. Visit www.caasco.com.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information:
Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Specialist, CAA SCO, email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.