Hottest products for back-to-school include tablets, smartphones and accessories
- Future Shop offers the top ways for students to be tech-forward, inside and outside the classroom
- Future Shop unveils the hottest products for back-to-school 2012
BURNABY, BC, July 25, 2012 /CNW/ - Gone are the days when the cars they drove or clothes they wore helped determine their status amongst their peers; today, it is the technology students carry that makes them stand out in a crowd, and in the classroom. Over the past decade, technology has become increasingly important in how students learn, work and interact with others. As back-to-school season approaches, Future Shop, Canada's largest retailer and e-tailer of consumer electronics, is helping Canadians students to be "tech forward" - keeping them ahead of the crowd by showing them how they can take advantage of the latest gadgets to help them rock lectures, stay organized and study smarter.
Now, more than ever before, technology is playing a vital role in the lives of students. Whether helping them stay organized, complete assignments or stay in touch with family and friends, technology is present in every facet of campus life. Technology gives today's students the opportunity to do more, share more and be more creative than ever before.
To help students stay ahead of the crowd, Future Shop is providing them with tech tips to ensure they have every opportunity to be tech forward:
- Professors increasingly use technology and software to present lectures and provide information to students. With the latest tech, students can access important information, add detailed notes and record content during class
- Lugging around notebooks and binders is so passé. Utilizing tablets, such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (WebID: 10206559) ensures notes, documents and lectures are available at a moment's notice
- During lectures, a small and compatible keyboard accessory, such as the Logitech Android Wireless Keyboard (WebID: 10173134), can turn tablets into note taking machines, allowing you to keep up with the speed of professors
- Use mobile technology and apps to build schedules, track deadlines and keep a balanced and organized social life
- Sync smartphones, laptops and tablets, ensuring schedules and information are automatically connected with each other, allowing Canadians to be prepared no matter what device is on hand
- Save time with a service like ConnectPro to install technology and make it all work together perfectly to ensure the best experience possible. Windows phone and Android tablet? No problem. ConnectPro can sync the devices to get them working together for you.
- Group work has never been easier. Maxell's AirStash wireless drive lets students carry files wherever they go and share them with up to eight devices simultaneously with a secure encryption option
- Don't understand something? Access a world of information online from anywhere through powerful devices like the HTC One X Smartphone (WebID: 10203323), and get the answers you need
- When you're at the library, you want to focus and not be distracted by whispers from fellow students. Music accessories, such as the Puma Keg In-Ear Headphones (WebID: 10199702) will keep the tunes in and the murmurs out - not to mention, they are quite stylish
2012's hottest products for back-to-school
Future Shop carries all the right technology to set everyone in the classroom up for success and help students stay connected to everyone around them at the same time. Here is a list of essential gear for the 2012 back-to-school season:
Samsung 10.1" 16GB Galaxy Tab 2 Tablet with wi-fi - Silver
- Need a big screen but don't want to lug the laptop to lectures? With a brilliant 10.1-inch Gorilla Glass display and a robust Dual Core processor, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 elevates the world of tablets to new heights. Equipped with the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich platform enhanced by Samsung TouchWiz, whether in the classroom or dorm room, students will enjoy exceptionally smooth and intuitive performance.
- WebID: 10206558
HP ENVY 14" 2nd Gen Intel Core i5-2467M Spectre Ultrabook (14-3090CA) - Silver / Black
- With a multi-glass surface design and a whole lot of power behind it, the HP ENVY 14-3090 was born to perform. It comes equipped with second generation Intel Core i5-2467M Processor, 4GB system memory and 128GB solid state drive, for plenty of power, storage and speed. Other features include a high res 14-inch HD LED display, HDMI and USB 3.0 connectivity, and a super-long battery life for long nights in the library.
- WebID: 10195304
Samsung Galaxy Note Smartphone - 3 year agreement
- Is it a smartphone? Is it a tablet? It's the best of both worlds! Either way, the Samsung Galaxy Note is an impressive piece of hardware with LTE network capabilities, a massive 5.3" HD Super AMOLED screen and 1.5GHz dual core processor that's powered by Android. The Galaxy Note is also home to an 8MP camera with great shooting features and an array of great ways to stay organized and connected.
- WebID: 10193810
Logitech android wireless keyboard
- Loving the tablet but missing the keys? This Logitech keyboard-and-stand combo is designed to travel easily to class, set up quickly and add a touch of convenience to lectures and study sessions.
- WebID: 10173134
Seagate Backup Plus 500GB USB 3.0 external portable hard drive (STBU500100) - Black
- The Seagate Backup Plus portable drive makes it easier than ever to back-up your data. And not just from your computer, either! You can automatically save photos from your social networks, and share them, too. It comes with USB 3.0 connectivity right out of the box, and you can upgrade connectivity to Thunderbolt or FireWire 800 with an optional adapter.
- WebID: 10202140
New! Puma Formstripe iPad portfolio (PMFS127-GRPK) - Grey / Pink
- Get stylish and protect tech with Puma`s line of colourful tablet portfolios. Simply insert an iPad and the cool-looking simulated leather design will protect its pristine surface while on the go between classes.
- WebID: 10201508
HTC One S Smartphone - 3 year agreement (Telus)
- Don't understand something? Access a world of information online from anywhere with the HTC One S Smartphone. The "S" in the HTC One S could stand for "social," "speedy," or maybe just "spectacular." This amazing smartphone features a powerful Instant Capture camera with zero shutter delay, making it easier and quicker than ever to capture that perfect shot and share it with friends. It even comes with 25GB of space on Dropbox, free for two years, to help store files, photos and videos.
- WebID: 10203323
Puma 360 in-ear headphones
- Create the ultimate study jam playlist and banish library distraction with these stylish Puma ear buds. With a variety of colours and styles, these bad boys are sure to brighten up days and nights by pumping high quality audio into long study sessions, making favourite playlists come alive and work seem a bit easier.
- WebID: 10199694
Microsoft wireless mobile mouse - 3500 Studio Series Artist Edition
- Equipped with BlueTrack and wireless technologies, this Microsoft mouse is the perfect companion for any computer. Plug the nano transceiver into the computer's USB port and forget about losing it. With up to 8 months of battery life, students can forget about those for a while, too.
- WebID: 10171177
PC Treasures Blast netbook cooling stand (7015) - Black / Silver - Web only
- Save any computer's hard drive during those late-night dorm room study sessions with a smart, efficient and versatile BLAST netbook cooling stand. With stereo speakers, it's the perfect size for 7-inch to 11.6-inch netbooks and is powered directly from the device.
- WebID: 10169256
Western Digital My Net N750 HD dual-band router (WDBAJA0000NWT-VESN)
- The My Net N750 HD dual-band router creates a wireless network that accelerates video, gaming and chat with FasTrack technology, delivering fast HD streaming with combined wireless speeds up to 750 Mbps. It features simple setup, four Gigabit Ethernet ports, two USB ports and superior range for larger homes or share houses.
- WebID: 10205580
Prices as of July 23, 2012. Prices subject to change.
About Future Shop
With 149 stores across the country and the nation's premier web store (www.futureshop.ca), Burnaby, BC-based Future Shop is Canada's largest retailer and e-tailer of consumer electronics. The company employs more than 10,000 technology enthusiasts, has enabled its website, Futureshop.ca, to deliver unparalleled content about the products it sells. Futureshop.ca also hosts an online community forum and tech blog called Tech Yeah for technology beginners and tech-savvy experts to exchange ideas, reviews, tips and other consumer electronics information (www.futureshop.ca/techyeah). As a proud corporate citizen, Future Shop has developed solutions to recycle used electronics and is committed to employee volunteerism and supporting non-profit organizations dedicated to transforming local youth into Future Leaders (see www.futureshop.ca/futuregeneration).
SOURCE: Future Shop
For further information:
Elliott Chun, Communications Manager │Future Shop │firstname.lastname@example.org │604.412.1764
Press room: www.futureshop.ca/media