New survey discovers Canadians secretly giving gifts they want too this holiday season
- Future Shop reveals the giving habits of Canadians this season in 2014 holiday survey.
- Future Shop releases the season's top products so everyone can get a gift they will enjoy giving – and receiving - this holiday season.
- Canadians are caring gift givers this season, as 85 per cent consider themselves to be selfless givers and 63 per cent offer a gift receipt – yet 81 per cent are giving a gift they want too!
BURNABY, BC, Nov. 12, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadians are making their lists, checking them twice, and finding out that tech is coming up twice. According to a new survey* conducted by Future Shop, Canada's leading retailer and e-tailer of consumer electronics and lifestyle products, tech is the top gift Canadian's will want to give and receive this holiday season. Forty-three per cent have electronics on their wish list – making it the most popular gift category this festive season. Tech is also the top gift that Canadians are planning to give their teens this year (47 per cent), showing that tech tops not only wish lists, but shopping lists as well.
Gifts everyone wants
While Canadians are known as selfless, sincere and sympathetic, the survey also implies "savvy" should also be added to that list, especially when it comes to making the most out of holiday gift-giving. Sure, Canadians want to give gifts their friends and family will love, but the Future Shop survey revealed 81 per cent of Canadians are planning to gift a gift that they want too this holiday season. However, 85 per cent consider themselves to be a selfless giver, which begs the question: are Canadians hoping to enjoy the gifts they give and receive?
Tech tops the list
When it comes to electronics, 40 per cent would like to receive a gift card, while 29 per cent hope for a movie to enjoy by a roaring fire, and one in four want a tablet with their hot cocoa.
Sixty-six per cent of those surveyed indicated they wouldn't be offended if someone returned a gift they have given, which might explain why 63 per cent of Canuck's give a gift receipt. To make sure your friends and family get what they really want, savvy shoppers should also take heed as Future Shop recommends Canadians consider pooling their resources. Big tech items like smart TVs are on many wish lists (21 per cent) but a mere one per cent plan to give them. Wearable tech is also on the rise, as 16 per cent want to receive a smartwatch or other piece of tech-on-the-go. So before Canadian rush out to buy those holiday-themed socks, givers should ask everyone on their list what they want this year to help close the disconnect between what Canadians want and what they are likely to receive – 20 per cent are expecting clothes, but most hoping to receive electronics (43 per cent).
Spending remains steady
The majority of Canadians (70 per cent) polled plan to spend the same during the 2014 holiday season versus 2013, while 19 per cent plan to spend less, and only 11 per cent are planning to open their wallets to spend more. Additional statistics revealed:
- Hey Big Spender: A whopping 14 per cent plan to go big, spending $1,200 or more;
- Mixing it Up: Over half of Canadians (54 per cent) plan to shop both in-store and online this year;
- In-Store Shoppers: Thirty-five per cent of Canadians still want the in-store experience and will shop only in bricks and mortar stores;
- Kind Canadians: Three in four (77 per cent) of those surveyed give gifts without expecting one in.
Future Shop's hot holiday list for everyone on your list
To help gift givers with their holiday shopping this year, Future Shop has put together a list of the season's must-have gadgets and revealed how they can suit everyone on your list, so you can both enjoy. With its Price Beat Promise, expanded selection of tech and lifestyle products, and multitude of ways for Canadians to get their hands on the best gifts around, Future Shop makes holiday shopping easy for everyone on their list. To make shopping even easier, Future Shop is also announcing its Extended Holiday Returns Policy starting November 7th, 2014, which offers a refund, exchange or price adjustments on gift purchases until January 4, 2015. Visit FutureShop.ca for full details.
Top gifts you'll want too this holiday season from Future Shop and FutureShop.ca
Samsung 55" 4K ultra HD 120hz curved LED smart TV – black
Gifting a smart TV? That's just SMART, as 21 per cent of those surveyed in a recent poll* say they'd love to receive one for the winter holidays. Bring the big screen experience home with this gorgeous 55" 4K Ultra HD TV.
- Want to travel the world? The curved screen naturally matches the curved shape of the eye, creating a realistic, immersive experience that places you in the action
- For the social media addict: The Samsung Smart Hub allows you to browse through an array of social networks to stay up-to-date from the comfort of your couch
- If you're a film buff: The ConnectShare movie feature allows you to play movies directly from an external hard drive, so you can watch all your favourite flicks
VIZIO 50" 4K ultra HD 240hz LED smart TV – black
Smart TVs are the third most desired piece of technology to receive as a holiday gift, according to the recent Future Shop survey.
- Netflix addict? Watch your favourite show in incredible detail and clarity with 4x the resolution of 1080p full HD
- Love yoga? It's perfect for streaming your favourite exercise videos
- Into interior design? The sleek, ultra-narrow design is perfect for the modern living room
Also available in 55", 60", 65" and 70" models.
VIZIO 2.1 channel sound base
Music is a hot tech gift this year, with 16 per cent planning on giving the gift of sound. Enter the VIZIO sound base: an evolution in home theatre that delivers booming audio where there isn't room for a sound bar.
- For the condo-dweller: It's an ideal solution for amazing sound in confined spaces without sacrificing audio quality
- Party animal? This sound base combines a roof-raising 101 dB of volume at less than 1 per cent harmonic distortion, so it will keep up at even the wildest party
- If you're a music lover: Enhance your listening experience by conveniently streaming your music wirelessly from a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth
A recent study by Future Shop uncovered that movies are high on Canadian wish lists this year with 29 per cent hoping to receive them and 32 per cent planning on giving them. The Chromecast provides all the movies anyone could want plus much more. It's the easy way to enjoy online video and music on the big screen.
- In charge of family night? No more huddling around small screens and tiny speakers – easily enjoy your favourite online entertainment on your HDTV
- If you're tech-shy: Chromecast works with devices you already own, including tablets and smartphones, so you won't have to learn anything new
- For the perpetual hostess: Friends, family and all your visitors can use your Chromecast with their smartphone, tablet or laptop without any additional setup
Parrot jumping sumo mini-drone – black
Get behind the wheel with this black Parrot jumping Sumo rover and enjoy the adrenaline rush.
- For the aspiring filmmaker: Sumo can jump up to 80 cm, take 90-degree turns with ease and push objects thanks to its spring, so you can capture even the hardest shots
- Adrenaline junkie? The embedded camera allows you to be right in on the action
- If you're a parent: Get down on your kids' level and see the world as they do
Anki drive start kit – black/red – web only
Toys and electronics are the most popular gifts for children this year! Why not give both at the same time with the Anki DRIVE, where real world racing and virtual gaming collide. Race into battle with friends and robot cars that try to outsmart you.
- For the constant competitor: Challenge your friends to control the other 3 of maximum 4 cars per track, or race against a sophisticated AI-controlled car that learns as it goes
- Love cars? Ankhi drive is played with scale model cars, integrating traditional and virtual racing. Redeem points to upgrade your car's capabilities.
- If you're a tech enthusiast: You'll love that, using artificial intelligence (AI), each car is designed to recognize its location, make decisions and drive itself
Xbox One 500 GB Sunset Overdrive special edition bundle – white
Explode the rules and transform an apocalyptic world in your playground with the Xbox One Special Edition Sunset Overdrive bundle.
- Into interior design? This sleek and slick console and controller in cirrus white will blend seamlessly into your living space
- For the social butterfly: This bundle comes with a chat headset, so you can enjoy playing with all of your friends
- If you're a gamer: This set contains everything you need to explode the rules in the Awesomepocalypse
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB smart phone
Three out of four Future Shop customers have given a gift they wanted for themselves. It's easy to see why with the Galaxy Note 4's explosive visual experience featuring Samsung's first-ever quad HD super AMOLED display.
- For the photographer: The 32GB built-in memory is expandable to 128GB, giving you plenty of space for all your pictures
- If you're a student: Photo Note gives you the ability to instantly convert photos to notes, which is perfect for capturing classroom material
- Traditionalist? S Pen offers a more authentic pen experience that perfectly emulates writing on paper with a fountain or calligraphy pen for a smooth, instinctive interaction
iRobot Scooba 450 floor scrubbing robot
Let this little robot do the hard scrubbing for you so you can spend more time with your feet up.
- Hate cleaning? The Scooba 450 automatically sweeps and pre-soaks, scrubs, then squeegees your floor, so you don't have to
- If you're a collector: iAdapt responsive navigation technology means easy navigation around rugs, stairs, and obstacles, so you can protect your favourite finds
- For the busy parent: The Scooba 450 offers the choice between a full 40-minute cycle or a 20 minute cycle, giving you time to get out and do other things
- For a gift you'll love too: A Future Shop survey revealed that 44 per cent of those polled buy gifts that they can enjoy as well… who doesn't enjoy a clean home without the hassle?
LG 1.5 cu. ft. microwave - stainless steel
With the largest usable space in its category, the LG microwave lets you heat up more food in less time.
- Neat freak? This microwave features a rounded cavity with easy cleaning coating, which makes it a snap to clean
- If you're a gourmand: At 1.5 cu. ft, the LG microwave lets you heat up more food faster
- For the busy mom: Sense touch functions make it easy to cook popular items like popcorn, fresh veggies and frozen entrées for your family
Nespresso VertuoLine coffee system with Aeroccino plus – chrome
This single cup coffeemaker creates beautiful coffees and espressos in the comfort of your kitchen.
- Taste-tester? This coffee system has adjustable cup holder fits coffee mugs, espresso cups and milk-based recipes glasses, so you try any recipe you want
- For the eco-nut: this machine is designed to shut off after nine minutes of non-use – a real energy-saver!
- If you love to sleep in: The warming plate keeps your beverage at optimal temperatures until you're ready to drink it
Monster DNA Pro over-ear sound isolating headphones - white tux
More than one in 10 want to receive headphones this holiday season! These Monster DNA on-ear headphones offer the newest in headphone technology, designed with audiophiles in mind.
- For the transit commuter: Advanced noise isolation filters out distractions and ambient sound
- For business on the go: ControlTalk inline audio controls make it easy for hands-free phone calls
- Fashion-forward? Stylish duo-tone colours help you express yourself
Fitbit Charge fitness tracker – large – slate
Available November 28th
The Fitbit Charge activity tracker delivers real-time fitness stats right to your wrist, so you can effectively energize each and every day.
- For a gift the whole family will love: Share and compete with friends and family in challenges and on the leaderboard
- If comfort is king: Wear all day and all night, thanks to a comfortable, textured band
- Runner? Use Mobile Run to train better by seeing routes and split times, and reviewing workout summaries
GoPro HERO4 waterproof HD sports and helmet camera – silver
Document your experiences in a whole new way with the HERO4 Silver, the first ever GoPro camera with built-in touch display.
- Night owl? Night photo gives you the ability to customize exposure settings up to 30 seconds for single and time lapse photos
- Monkey see… The LCD touchscreen on the back gives you nothing but bright, clear images to document your adventures and see live or playback what you're recording
- For the snowboarder in your life: Wearable and mountable enables immersive self-capture during your favorite activities
- For the friend who is always connected: Built in wi-fi and Bluetooth delivers enhanced connectivity to the GoPro app and smart remote
Prices as of November 3, 2014. Prices subject to change. Price Beat Promise in effect.
*The survey was conducted online among a national sample of 622 Future Shop customers, 18 years of age and older, living in Canada. Interviewing for this survey was completed from October 21 to October 26, 2014. While statistical margins of error are not applicable to online panels, we have assumed that the same margins of error apply as if it were a true unweighted random probability sample with a margin of error of +/- 3.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.
About Future Shop
Founded in 1982, BC-based Future Shop is Canada's leading destination for a total retail experience. With 135 stores across the country, the nation's premier web store (www.futureshop.ca), and unparalleled customer support from Geek Squad both online and in-store, Future Shop continues to be a leader in Canadian retail. Having been recognized for 'Best Omni-Channel Integration' at the 2014 Canada Post E-commerce Innovation Awards, Future Shop delivers the largest in-store selection of consumer electronics and lifestyle goods, and features an expanded assortment of products online at FutureShop.ca. Through its Future Generation Tech Labs community initiative, Future Shop is proud to connect youth with technology to inspire, motivate, and empower their education (see www.futureshop.ca/futuregeneration).
SOURCE: Future Shop
For further information: Media contact: Elliott Chun, Future Shop, email@example.com, 604.412.1764; Press room: www.futureshop.ca/media, Facebook: www.facebook.com/FutureShop, Twitter: www.twitter.com/FutureShopNews