THORNHILL, ON, May 31, 2012 /CNW/ - Are you planning on including Fido or Fluffy on your next family vacation? Furry family members can pose some challenges for pet owners when it comes to making travel arrangements. That is why CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is offering useful tips for preparing your four-legged travellers for flying.
"At CAA SCO, we believe a hassle-free vacation with a pet requires careful planning. We are pleased to provide travelling pet owners with handy tips and reliable travel information," Kathy Kelly, Director of Travel & Retail Services, CAA SCO.
CAA SCO recommends the following tips:
- Make sure the airline allows pets onboard before booking your trip.
- Reserve space for your pet after you have arranged your own tickets.
- Buy a proper travel carrier. For larger pets travelling in the underneath baggage compartment, go with a hard-sided carrier. For smaller pets that are carried on board, use a proper, soft-sided travel carrier.
- Label the carrier.
- Practice travelling so your pet becomes accustomed to the carrier before your vacation starts.
- Get a clean bill of health from the veterinarian and update your pet's vaccinations.
- Exercise your pet before your flight.
- Add an additional 30 minutes to your airport arrival time.
- Feed your pet before departure.
- Travel with a water bowl and chewing bone.
For pet lovers, the newly released edition of Travelling with Your Pet: The AAA PetBook is available in print and digital versions. The annually updated guidebook is packed with a wealth of additional resources for planning petfriendly vacations at www.AAA.com/PetBook.
CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club offering insurance, travel, automotive care and roadside services. There are more than 1.8 million CAA members in South Central Ontario and 5 million members in Canada. We're more than Roadside Assistance. We're Life-side Assistance. Visit www.caasco.com.
For further information:
Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Specialist, CAA SCO, email@example.com, Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Internal/External PR Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.