KELOWNA, BC, May 24, 2017 /CNW/ - Thanks to generous donations from Canadians, the Red Cross is able to help households impacted by the flooding in British Columbia by providing direct financial support.
The Red Cross will provide $600 to eligible, registered households whose primary residence was damaged by the flood. These funds will help individuals and families purchase what they need most during this very difficult time.
This direct financial assistance is part of the Red Cross' early recovery efforts to reach those in need. In the weeks to come, the Red Cross will continue working alongside local authorities to provide further support to affected individuals and families on a case-by-case basis.
Canadian Red Cross Vice-President B.C. & Yukon, Kimberley Nemrava:
"An evacuation has an immediate financial impact on families. Parents may need to take time off work to sandbag or repair their homes and costs rise quickly for simple needs like replacing food in their fridge, transportation or purchasing a child's favourite toy that was lost. Thanks to the generous donations from Canadians, partners and businesses, the Red Cross has the opportunity to provide direct financial assistance to families to help ease the burden."
- To be considered eligible for financial assistance, households that were evacuated and whose homes were damaged by flood waters can register for Red Cross assistance online at redcross.ca/gethelp, or by phone at 1-800-863-6582. Families whose homes were impacted by slope movement or slides due to the rain event are also eligible.
- Flood-impacted households who have already registered with their local authorities must also register with the Red Cross. Households that have not registered with their local authorities may still apply for this assistance.
- The most effective way to receive this financial assistance from the Red Cross is to submit one email address during the registration process so financial support can be sent electronically.
- The direct financial assistance is made possible by the generosity of Canadians who have donated more than $8.2 million to-date to the Red Cross Spring Floods Appeal, with $5.8 million raised for Quebec and $2.4 million raised for all other affected regions in Canada.
- Financial assistance provides immediate support to families who are coping with the emergency, allowing them to determine for themselves exactly what is essential during this difficult time.
- Registration webpage: www.redcross.ca/gethelp
- Donate to the Canadian Red Cross Spring Floods Appeal on redcross.ca @RedCrossCanada | facebook.com/CanadianRedCross | redcross.ca/blog
- Red Cross donor inquiries: WeCare@redcross.ca or 1-800-418-1111
About the Canadian Red Cross
Here in Canada and overseas, the Red Cross stands ready to help people before, during and after a disaster. As a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement – which is made up of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the International Committee of the Red Cross and 190 national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies – the Canadian Red Cross is dedicated to improving the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and throughout the world.
SOURCE Canadian Red Cross
For further information: Media contact: Cheekwan Ho, Canadian Red Cross - Manager, B.C. & Yukon, 604-709-6747