THORNHILL, ON, July 5, 2013 /CNW/ - The heat and the humidity can take a toll on your vehicle.
That is why CAA South Central Ontario (CAA SCO) is reminding drivers not to forget to prep your vehicle for the hot summer months.
Five tips to help keep your vehicle running smoothly this summer:
- In addition to the cold winter temperatures, heat and vibration are also a battery's worst enemies leading to breakdown and eventual failure. If a car's battery is five years old, have it tested by a trained technician to determine how much longer it will last. CAA SCO offers battery service. To request a free diagnostic test, call 1-800-222-4357 or visit CAA Battery Service. The test can also be conducted at any CAA Car Care Centre or AARS facility.
- Your vehicle's cooling system protects the engine from overheating. Without proper maintenance, the odds of long-term engine damage and overheating increase.
- Driving with improperly inflated tires affects the handling and braking of a vehicle, it can also cause tires to overheat and increase the chance of a blowout. Tire pressure should be checked when the car has not been driven recently and should be inflated to the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Engine fluids are essential to keeping a vehicle running smoothly. Drivers should check all vehicle fluids to ensure they are filled to the appropriate levels.
- During the summer months, properly working air conditioning is more than just a convenience. If your car's air conditioning is not maintaining the interior temperature as well as it once did, it may mean the refrigerant level is low. Have the a/c system checked by a certified technician.
In case you find yourself stranded on the side of the road this summer, be prepared with a well-stocked emergency kit, including water, non-perishable food items, booster cables, a fully charged phone, flashlight and extra batteries and a first aid kit.
CAA offers 24-hour roadside assistance, 7 days a week, 345 days a year.
CAA South Central Ontario is a not-for-profit auto club offering roadside services, automotive care, travel and insurance. There are more than 1.9 million CAA members in South Central Ontario and over 5.6 million members in Canada. We're more than Roadside Assistance. We're Life-side Assistance.
Follow @CAASCO_News on Twitter for regular updates on wait times, other news and information.
SOURCE: CAA South Central Ontario
For further information:
Media contact: Silvana Aceto, Media and PR Consultant, CAA SCO, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-3194, Cell: (416) 209-4930 or Jeff LeMoine, Communications Consultant, [email protected], Office: (905) 771-4709, Cell: (416) 254-0641.