Roles to Help Companies Keep Pace With Tech Trends See Biggest Pay Gains, According to Salary Guides
TORONTO, Feb. 12, 2014 /CNW/ - Trends like big data and mobile media are translating into growing paycheques for some professionals, according to the recently released 2014 Salary Guides from Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group. Employers are prepared to offer increased compensation this year to skilled information technology (IT) and digital professionals who can help organizations meet the following objectives: keep information and networks secure, turn data into business intelligence and seize new opportunities in the mobile space.
"Companies trying to stay ahead of the curve are investing in building their online presence and engaging with their customers through mobile channels, but finding specialized talent needed to design and develop for this fast-paced environment can be a challenge," said Deborah Bottineau, Senior Regional Manager of Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group.
"Business intelligence is another area for which companies are finding it difficult to recruit. With the vast availability of data, businesses want to be strategic in how they use the information, so they need to find professionals who are skilled in analyzing the data and also have the acumen to translate that information in a way that helps the business grow."
Following are five roles that are among those expected to see the most substantial increases in average starting compensation in 2014, according to the Robert Half Salary Guides*:
- Software Developer: Expertise and skilled practical resources in programming and software development are a necessity for companies looking to be on the cutting edge of innovation. Software developers who are detail-oriented and have excellent problem-solving skills in addition to the technical programming skills are projected to see a 7.6 per cent bump in base compensation this year, with average starting salaries between $68,000 and $113,500
- Mobile applications developer: As companies expand their mobile initiatives to connect with consumers anytime, anywhere, they need professionals who can develop for smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. Experienced mobile applications developers can expect to see a 7.6 per cent increase in starting compensation of any tech position listed in this year's Salary Guide, with salaries ranging from $85,000 to $120,500.
- Business intelligence analyst: Organizations of all types want to derive more value from the data they generate, collect and store by turning it into actionable intelligence. Skilled business intelligence analysts can anticipate a 7.6 per cent boost in starting compensation in 2014, with salaries ranging from $81,750 to $113,750.
- Software Engineer: Designing and creating engineering specifications for software programs and applications while collaborating with quality assurance and hardware engineers, requires specialized talent. Software engineers can expect to see average starting salaries between $85,500 and $123,250, up 7.5 per cent from 2013.
- Developer/Program Analyst: Keeping the business point of view is an important factor in the success of a developer/program analyst. Developers/program analysts who understand and conceptualize applications from both technical/programming and business perspectives can anticipate average starting salaries to increase 7.1 per cent in 2014, to the range of $75,250 to $112,250.
More information about the positions listed above can be found in the Robert Half Technology 2014 Salary Guide, which includes a wide range of IT job descriptions, and The Creative Group 2014 Salary Guide, which focuses on interactive, design and marketing jobs.
Both Robert Half Technology (rht.com and The Creative Group creativegroup.com) are divisions of Robert Half, the world's first and largest specialized staffing firm and a recognized leader in professional staffing services.
*All salaries listed are Canadian national averages based on data published in the 2014 Salary Guides from Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group. Actual salary ranges may vary depending on location.
SOURCE: Robert Half Technology
For further information:
Naz Araghian, 416.350.2330 ext. 62132 or [email protected]