- Second Zellers location nationwide to reopen as a new store
- Unique two-level layout has 40,000 ft2 per floor--the smallest building area for a Walmart in Canada
- 19th of 73 Walmart Canada projects to be completed this fiscal year
LAVAL, QC, Sept. 19, 2012 /CNW/ - Today at a grand opening ceremony, Walmart Canada opened the first Zellers location to reopen under a new banner in Quebec. The 80,000 square-foot store located at 400 Dorval Avenue, Dorval is a one-stop shopping destination dedicated to every day low prices. A brand new format for Walmart in Quebec, at 40,000 square feet per floor, this two-level store has the smallest building area for a Walmart in Canada. An escalator allows customers and their shopping carts to move between floors.
Customers will appreciate the store's updated design that includes easy-to-navigate aisles with directional signage, a bright interior colour palette clearly defining the store's merchandise areas as well as lower shelving throughout for an improved sightline. In addition, a pharmacy has been added to the store.
"We are thrilled to open a new Walmart for our customers in Dorval and the surrounding area," said Chantal Glenisson, senior vice president for Walmart Quebec. "It is located in a very convenient location and the team has done an excellent job planning the merchandise assortment and store layout to make it easy for customers to find what they need."
The Dorval store is one of 73 projects planned for the company's current fiscal year, which will add 4.6 million square feet of retail space to its operations by January 31, 2013, the end of the company's fiscal year. The 73 projects include building new stores and expanding, remodelling or relocating existing stores and represent an investment of more than $750 million in Canadian communities. Included in these projects are 39 former Zellers stores. The 73 projects are expected to generate more than 14,000 store, trade and construction jobs.
"We are very proud of the work our associates have done to prepare this store for our customers," said André Tawil, Dorval store manager. "We are really looking forward to becoming part of the community, meeting our new customers and especially hearing what they think of their new store."
The Dorval Walmart employs 146 associates. Walmart received over 2,000 applications for these roles, which include cashiers, sales associates, management and other hourly positions.
Commitment to sustainability
Walmart continues to show its leadership in the area of energy efficiency, renewable energy and environmental sustainability. The new Dorval Walmart features LED exterior signage, waste diversion streams including paper and plastic and environmentally-preferable products.
As part of Walmart's mission to helping Canadian families in need, $4,000 in donations were presented to community organizations today including the Big brothers big sisters West Island and La fondation village helping seniors. Throughout the year, the Dorval Walmart will provide additional charitable and community support through donations and fundraising initiatives.
Facts and Figures
- 146 associates
- Over 2,000 job applications received
- 57,000 square feet of retail space
- 80,000 square foot store
- 40,000 building footprint, the smallest Walmart building footprint in Canada
- 338th Walmart Canada store
- 75,000 products available in store
- 6 months to renovate to the store
Walmart in Quebec
- By January 31, 2013 Walmart Canada will have 64 stores in Quebec, including 15 supercentres.
- 17 Walmart projects planned for Quebec between February 1, 2012 and January 31, 2013:
- Construction of two brand new stores*
- Renovation or expansion of six stores to include a full grocery section
- Conversion of nine Zellers locations to Walmart stores
* The Laval location on Corbusier Boulevard is being relocated to 2075 Chomedy Boulevard in Laval. This store is also home to Walmart Canada's head office for Quebec and Atlantic Canada.
Walmart Canada today
- 1,500 - 8,000 job applications are received for each new Walmart store in Canada
- 4,000 new positions created at Walmart Canada this year
- 73 projects in the company's expansion plan this fiscal year (ending January 31, 2013)
- $750 million invested for the 73 projects
- 19 of 73 projects completed to date (including Dorval)
- 157 discount stores and 181 supercentres stores with full complement of fresh groceries
- 338 Walmart stores total in Canada (including Dorval)
- As of January 31, 2012 333 Walmart stores
- By January 31, 2013, more than 375 Walmart stores
- $15.4 billon paid to Canadian suppliers in 2011
About Walmart Canada
Walmart Canada was established in 1994 with the acquisition of the Woolco chain. Over the past 18 years, Walmart Canada has more than doubled the number of stores in Canada and more than tripled the number of associates, creating a strong, stable retail chain which offers career opportunities.
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of discount stores and supercentres with 337 locations nationwide serving more than one million customers each day. With 90,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is recognized by Waterstone Human Capital as having one of Canada's top 10 corporate cultures. Walmart Canada is focused on helping Canadian families in need. Since 1994, Walmart has donated and raised more than $160 million to Canadian charities and not-for-profit organizations.
Image with caption: "Official Ribbon Cutting Ceremony with André Tawil, store manager and the first customer of the day (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120919_C7723_PHOTO_EN_18104.jpg
Image with caption: "Aliments du Québec (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120919_C7723_PHOTO_EN_18108.jpg
Image with caption: "Customer and shopping cart escalator between floors (CNW Group/Walmart Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20120919_C7723_PHOTO_EN_18118.jpg
SOURCE: Walmart Canada
For further information:
Alex Roberton, 514 347 4923.
Find us here:
Corporate Site: www.walmartcanada.ca
Corporate Social Responsibility: www.walmartcsr.ca
Twitter: @walmartcanada https://twitter.com/WalmartCanada