TORONTO, Nov. 4, 2013 /CNW/ - First Capital Realty Inc. ("First Capital Realty") (TSX: FCR), Canada's leading owner, developer and manager of well-located, high quality urban retail-centred properties where people live and shop for everyday life, announced today the release of the Company's third Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability (CRS) Report that complies with the Global Reporting Initiative™ (GRI™) Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. First Capital Realty's 2012 CRS Report details the progress it has made in the previous year and includes comparative metrics to data provided in the Company's 2011 report. Key highlights from last year's performance include:
- Construction was completed on two geothermal projects: one mixed use residential/retail complex, Broadmoor Shopping Centre/Circa Residences in Richmond, British Columbia, and a new retail shopping centre, Leaside Village, in Toronto, Ontario;
- A comprehensive review and audit of environmental conditions of all properties was undertaken;
- A partnership agreement was signed with The Electric Circuit to install forty public charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles at shopping centres in Quebec over two years;
- Sponsorship funding totalling $45,000 was provided for a number of program initiatives at Ontario College of Art and Design University (OCAD U), including the Graduate Exhibition, a public sculpture competition, and awards for the university's top graduating students in Sculpture/Installation and Criticism and Curatorial Practice;
- Sixteen properties comprising 1.3 million square feet of gross leasable area received Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) Building Environmental Standards (BESt) certification; and
- Six projects comprising 218,000 square feet of gross leasable area were certified to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards.
As of September 30, 2013, 35 projects at 22 properties comprising over 800,000 square feet of gross leasable area were certified to LEED standards. Another 79 projects at 46 properties comprising over 2.5 million square feet of GLA are under development, in the process of construction or awaiting LEED certification.
"We are pleased with the progress on our sustainability initiatives," stated Dori J. Segal, President and CEO of First Capital Realty, "and we remain committed to engaging with our communities and maintaining our high standards of corporate responsibility throughout all aspects of our business."
The Company has self-declared its report to be an Application Level B+. This application level requires a company to report fully on at least 20 performance indicators, including one from each category: economic, environment, human rights, labour, society and product responsibility. Furthermore, it requires external assurance. Accordingly, the Company received independent assurance on six quantitative performance indicators included in its CRS Report for the year ended December 31, 2012 from PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
To obtain a copy of First Capital Realty's 2012 CRS report, please visit our website at www.firstcapitalrealty.ca
ABOUT FIRST CAPITAL REALTY (TSX:FCR)
First Capital Realty is Canada's leading owner, developer and manager of well-located, high quality urban retail-centred properties where people live and shop for everyday life. The Company currently owns interests in 164 properties, including four under ground-up development, totalling approximately 24.3 million square feet of gross leasable area and three sites in the planning stage for future retail development.
SOURCE: First Capital Realty Inc.
For further information:
Dori J. Segal, President & C.E.O, or
Karen H. Weaver, Executive Vice President & C.F.O, or
First Capital Realty Inc.
85 Hanna Avenue, Suite 400
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M6K 3S3
Tel: (416) 504-4114
Fax: (416) 941-1655