Canada's Financial Literacy Leader is seeking representatives from a range of sectors to join the National Steering Committee on Financial Literacy
OTTAWA, June 21, 2016 /CNW Telbec/ - Financial Literacy Leader Jane Rooney is seeking influential individuals from the public, private and non-profit sectors across Canada to join the National Steering Committee on Financial Literacy. Committee members advise the Leader on financial literacy issues and champion the National Strategy for Financial Literacy—Count Me In, Canada. They commit to take action to strengthen the knowledge, skills and confidence of Canadians to make responsible financial decisions and to report on progress. Committee members are recognized for their leadership within their sectors, and for their ability to mobilize stakeholder communities to advance financial literacy priorities regionally and nationally.
Interested individuals can apply through the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) website until 11:59 p.m. on July 21 2016.
- The National Steering Committee on Financial Literacy supports the Financial Literacy Leader in her mandate to engage, collaborate and coordinate with stakeholders from the public, private and non-profit sectors. Their goal is to support initiatives that strengthen the financial literacy of Canadians.
- The committee meets at least three times each year and is chaired by the Leader.
- The first steering committee, appointed in 2014, concludes its two-year mandate on July 30, 2016. Its 15 members were selected from more than 100 applicants and represent a broad range of organizations, professions and regions. They include education leaders experienced in working with groups such as seniors, Indigenous peoples, newcomers, youth and low-income Canadians.
- The first national steering committee was essential to the development of the National Strategy for Financial Literacy—Count me in, Canada.
- This is the first of two calls for applicants for committees hosted by FCAC this year. In mid-July, Agency Commissioner Lucie Tedesco will seek candidates for Canada's first Consumer Protection Advisory Board. This new body will support FCAC's financial consumer protection mandate. Those interested in receiving further information on the board and its application process may write to FCAC at [email protected].
"Since my appointment as leader in 2014, I have experienced the true power of a passionate group of accomplished and committed individuals working collectively to enhance Canadians' financial well-being. With this new committee, I look forward to building on the many successes of the past. Together, we will tackle household indebtedness, encourage budgeting, financial planning and saving for the future as well as promote fraud prevention."
Financial Literacy Leader, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
- Online application: National Steering Committee for Financial Literacy
- National Strategy for Financial Literacy–Count me in, Canada
- Financial literacy committees and networks
- Financial Literacy Leader
SOURCE Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
For further information: Natasha Nystrom, Media Relations Officer, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, 613-941-4168, [email protected]