~Honoured to be marking 25 years of helping Canadians achieve their financial goals~
TORONTO, Oct. 19, 2012 /CNW/ - Twenty-five years ago today, a new independent investment management firm, Fidelity Investments Canada ULC first opened its doors to serve Canadian investors. What started as a small company focused on serving a few financial advisors has grown into one of the largest investment management companies in Canada. Today, thousands of clients from individual investors with the help of their financial advisors to the largest pension plans in Canada entrust Fidelity Investments Canada to help them manage their investments.
"Fidelity Investments Canada has the unique distinction of opening for business on October 19th, 1987 - better known as Black Monday," said Rob Strickland, president, Fidelity Investments Canada. "A lot has changed since we debuted on that infamous day, but what hasn't changed is Fidelity's commitment to our clients and partners. Focusing on what will make our clients successful was a smart move 25 years ago and it remains a smart move as we move into the future."
Throughout its history, the Fidelity Investment's organization has followed a consistent investment philosophy of active investment management, driven by fundamental research in an environment of teamwork and meritocracy. This long-term focus, coupled with a culture of constant improvement has produced a number of important products and solutions for Canadian investors. Here are a few of the more interesting dates in Fidelity Investments Canada's history.
- 1987 was a big year in Canadian history. Our dollar went from paper to coin, Wayne Gretzky still played for the Edmonton Oilers, Frobisher Bay became Iqaluit, and some kid named Sidney (soon to be Sid the Kid) was born. But one day, October 19th, 1987 stands out in history for two reasons. It's best known as Black Monday, a day when the stock markets went into a free-fall. But it's also the day when Fidelity Investments Canada opened its doors.
- In 1992, the North American Free Trade Agreement made more newspaper headlines than when Fidelity Investments Canada crossed the $1 billion mark in assets under management.
- 1998 - Fidelity Investments Canada forms its own "Team Canada", one of the largest buy-side teams in the industry dedicated to researching and managing Canadian equity portfolios in Boston, MA. Recruited from top Canadian universities, the members of Team Canada have been a major part of Fidelity Investments Canada's success.
- There was no Twitterverse to light up in 2002 when Fidelity T-SWP™ (Fidelity Tax-Smart Withdrawal Program) was launched to help investors manage their income in a tax-efficient manner.
- "Never stop doing what you love" - When Paul McCartney helped us introduce the Fidelity ClearPath® Retirement Portfolios in 2005, he would be 64 and not just singing about it.
- The significant market decline and volatility in 2008 was an incredibly difficult time with many investors anxious about the future. Since its founding in 1946, Fidelity has weathered numerous market upheavals and has proactively reached out to clients, providing them with expert context and perspective about what was happening around the world.
- In 2009, Fidelity Investments Canada repatriated our very own Team Canada to new offices in Toronto and Montreal - a year before Sid the Kid scored the golden goal for Team Canada in Vancouver.
- One of Fidelity Investment Canada's most important investment solutions, the Fidelity Private Investment Program for high-net worth investors, continues its strong momentum in 2010.
- At the 2011 Morningstar® Canadian Investment Awards™, Fidelity Investments Canada was chosen by Canadian financial advisors as the 2011 Advisors' Choice Fund Company of the Year. Pyramis Global Advisors (Canada) ULC, a Fidelity Investments company, climbs to number 16 on the Benefits Canada Top 40 Institutional Money Managers report.
- In 2012, Fidelity Investments Canada turns 25, celebrates 10 outstanding years of partnership with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada and tops the annual Environics Advisor Perception survey, a national survey of Canadian financial advisors for the 7th year in a row.
"Fidelity Investments Canada's success has been built on a proven and repeatable investment process, independent research, global reach and our very own Team Canada. In 25 years we've grown to become the largest independent mutual fund company in Canada by forging solid, long-lasting relationships with clients from coast to coast," said Strickland. "We're honoured to have played a role in helping Canadians achieve their investment goals over the past quarter century. It's a responsibility that we take seriously and we're looking forward to the next 25 years."
To help celebrate its silver anniversary, Fidelity Investments Canada will ring the opening bell to start the trading day at the Toronto Stock Exchange today. On hand will be Rob Strickland, President, Fidelity Investments Canada, Roger Servison, president of the Strategic New Business Development Group for Fidelity Investments and 25 of Fidelity Canada's longest-tenured employees.
® 2012 Morningstar is a registered mark of Morningstar Research Inc. All rights reserved.
About Fidelity Investments
Fidelity Investments Canada ULC is part of the Fidelity Investments organization of Boston, one of the world's largest providers of financial services. 2012 marks 25 years of success in the Canadian marketplace, where Fidelity manages a total of $68 billion in mutual fund and institutional assets. This includes $13 billion in assets for institutional clients including public and corporate defined benefit pension plans, endowments, foundations and other corporate assets on behalf of clients across Canada.
Fidelity Investments Canada provides Canadian investors a full range of domestic, international and income oriented mutual funds, as well as asset allocation and managed solutions and the high net-worth program, the Fidelity Private Investment Program. Fidelity funds are available through a number of advice-based distribution channels including financial planners, investment dealers, banks, and insurance companies. Fidelity Investments Canada is a proud supporter of the Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada and we are dedicated to helping young Canadians realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens.
Image with caption: "Fidelity Investments Canada celebrates 25th anniversary in Canada - 25 of Fidelity Canada's longest-tenured employees, along with president Rob Strickland and Roger Servison, President, Strategic New Business Development for Fidelity Investments (Boston) open the market today - 25 years after Black Monday in 1987.(CNW Group/Fidelity Investments Canada Limited)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20121019_C8372_PHOTO_EN_19574.jpg
SOURCE: Fidelity Investments Canada Limited
For further information:
Vice President, Corporate Affairs
Fidelity Corporate Affairs -- Canada
Email: [email protected]