Simon Fraser University's 4D LABS receives funding for equipment at its new Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Integration (CAMI)
BURNABY, BC, Nov. 14, 2018 /CNW/ - Simon Fraser University's (SFU) 4D LABS has received an investment of $1,921,700 to equip the new Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Integration (CAMI) with state-of-the-art machinery to help prototype and manufacture advanced micro and nanotechnologies.
The funding was announced today by Terry Beech, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Transport and Member of Parliament for Burnaby North - Seymour, on behalf of the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD).
The equipment will help commercialize innovative micro and nanotechnology solutions. The sectors that will benefit from this technology include information and communication technology, energy, healthcare, transportation, and security.
By investing in research facilities like the CAMI at 4D LABS, the Government of Canada is supporting western Canadian researchers and manufacturers to commercialize innovative solutions and compete in global markets.
- 4D LABS is a shared-equipment resource with state-of-the-art fabrication and characterization facilities and equipment that can be used by academic, industrial, and government researchers.
- It employs technical staff to provide users with training and fee-for-hire services in nanofabrication, nano-imaging, and LASIR (Laboratory for Advanced Spectroscopy and Imaging Research). It specializes in the clean energy, information technology, health care, agriculture, and environment sectors.
"As markets evolve, Canada needs to remain competitive on the global stage. Supporting 4D LABS and the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Integration ensures that researchers and manufacturers have access to the tools they need to succeed in their work. Projects like this increase productivity and innovation, supporting the continued growth and vitality of Western Canada."
- The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada
"The Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Integration is an important addition to SFU's 4D LABS. The infrastructure will provide manufacturers in British Columbia with the resources, services, and expertise to compete and succeed in domestic and global markets."
- Terry Beech, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Transport and Member of Parliament for Burnaby North – Seymour
"This is a perfect example of how university, industry, and government partnerships can achieve goals none can do alone. With the continued support of WD, we can help fast-track R&D and provide unique services to both academic and industry researchers."
- Neil Branda, Professor, Canada Research Chair Tier I, Scientific Director, 4D LABS, Simon Fraser University
"This funding from WD will provide academic researchers as well as local industry access to state-of-the-art tools for the manufacturing of devices at the micro- and nano-scales for a wide range of applications."
- Behraad Bahreyni, Professor, Mechatronic Systems Engineering, Simon Fraser University
"This important funding reinforces 4D LABS' position as a leader in the research and development of nano-fabrication and advanced nano-structures. The presence of an advanced facility in B.C. allows innovative companies like us to achieve global success while still maintaining local research and development in cutting-edge technology. This investment will allow the continued expansion our ongoing collaboration with 4D LABS."
- Clint Landrock, CTO, Nanotech Security
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.
SOURCE Western Economic Diversification Canada
For further information: Ben Stanford, Regional Communications Manager, Western Economic Diversification Canada, 604-365-8050, firstname.lastname@example.org; Tia O'Grady, Associate Director, Communications and Marketing, Office of the Vice-President, Research, 778-782-3550, email@example.com