Together in Montreal at the World Cancer Congress
MONTREAL, Feb. 2, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - World Cancer Day takes place every year on February 4 and is the singular initiative under which the entire world can unite in the fight against the global cancer epidemic. World Cancer Day 2012 has been themed "Together it is possible". This year, the theme is particularly important for Canada as the country hosts the World Cancer Congress (WCC) for the first time. Everyone in the cancer control community is invited to be part of this global cancer gathering in Montreal on August 27-30, 2012.
"Aligning under the banner of "Together it is possible", together we hope to reduce premature deaths from cancer and other non communicable diseases (NCDs) by 25% by 2025. I invite all concerned to join us at the World Cancer Congress," says Dr. Mary K. Gospodarowicz UICC President-Elect (Canada), Medical Director, Cancer Program Princess Margaret Hospital and University Health Network, and Professor of Radiation Oncology at the University of Toronto. Knowing that up to 40% of cancer cases can be prevented through simple lifestyle changes, early diagnosis and treatment, it is easy to grasp the potential of the World Cancer Congress and the importance of working together. Organised by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) and hosted by Fondation québécoise du cancer, McGill University and the University of Montreal, the WCC is expected to attract more than 3,000 participants and world leaders in the fight against cancer from over 120 countries.
The 2012 World Cancer Congress will feature international eminent speakers, plenary lecturers and experts in fields relevant to cancer control, such as:
- Dr Elizabeth Blackburn, biological researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, and 2009 Nobel Prize winner in Physiology and Medicine
- Sir George Alleyne, United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in the Caribbean region
- Dr Haik Nikogosian, Head of the Convention Secretariat WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control
- Dr Graham A. Colditz, Associate Director, Cancer Prevention and Control, Siteman Cancer Center, and Washington University in St Louis
- Dr John R. Seffrin, Chief Executive Officer of the American Cancer Society
- Dr Faith Mwangi-Powell, Executive Director, African Palliative Care Association
- Prof Richard Sullivan, Director of the new Kings Health Partners Institute of Cancer Policy & Global Health
For regular updates on the speakers and programme please visit: www.worldcancercongress.org/programme
Canadians in the cancer control community are invited to play an active role in shaping the congress programme by submitting their abstracts before March 29, 2012.
For details please visit : www.worldcancercongress.org/abstracts-and-travel-grants
Early bird discounts on registrations until April 22, 2012
Attendees can save up to 30% by registering early and UICC members benefit from an additional 40% discount.
About the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC)
A membership organisation guided by the World Cancer Declaration, UICC exists to help the global health community accelerate the fight against cancer. Based in Geneva, the organisation's network spans over 120 countries and includes influential policy makers, researchers and experts in cancer prevention and control. Founded in 1933, UICC's growing membership of 465 organisations features the world's major cancer societies, ministries of health and patient groups. Together with the World Health Organization (WHO), the World Economic Forum (WEF) and other key stakeholders, UICC and its partners are tackling the growing cancer crisis on a global scale. www.uicc.org
About the Local Host Committee (LHC)
The Local Host Committee is composed of Canadian volunteers and individuals with strong beliefs in the fight against cancer. They are responsible for facilitating the task of UICC in organising the event in Canada and to promote this event to the Canadian delegates and potential partners. Members of this committee include: Dr. Michel Gélinas, President and Co-Founder Fondation québécoise du cancer and President of the LHC 2012 World Cancer Congress; Dr Eduardo L. Franco, Professor and Interim Chair, McGill Department of Oncology and Dr Jean-Paul Bahary, Radio Oncologist, University of Montreal Hospital Centre. www.fqc.qc.ca, www.mcgill.ca, and www.umontreal.ca
For further information:
Source: World Cancer Congress
FOR ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS WITH:
- Dr. Mary K. Gospodarowicz, UICC President-Elect (Canada)
- Dr. Michel Gélinas, President and Co-Founder Fondation québécoise du cancer and President of the Local Host Committee for the 2012 World Cancer Congress
Public Relations Consultant
For les sens créatifs | pre-to-post event marketing
C.: 514 581 5831