OTTAWA, May 1, 2017 /CNW/ - To strengthen financial consumer protection in Canada, Lucie Tedesco, Commissioner of the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC), today launched a call for applications for her new Consumer Protection Advisory Committee. This committee will play a key role by supporting the Commissioner in carrying out the Agency's financial consumer protection mandate.
Committee members will help protect consumers by informing FCAC's supervision work, research initiatives, and the development of consumer education material. In addition, members will share their perspectives on marketplace trends and emerging issues, concerns regarding the delivery of financial services, and how changes in the financial services sector are impacting Canadians.
Interested individuals may apply online until 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2017.
- FCAC's Commissioner will select the committee members. They will include stakeholders from the public, private, non-profit and academic sectors.
- Members' responsibilities will include:
- supporting FCAC's financial consumer protection mandate
- identifying and evaluating trends and emerging issues relevant to financial consumers
- sharing and discussing research relevant to FCAC's financial consumer protection mandate and identifying research opportunities
- contributing their knowledge and expertise in the best interest of financial consumers.
- Those interested in receiving further information about the committee and its application process may contact FCAC at [email protected].
"Protecting Canadian financial consumers is at the heart of FCAC's work. As the financial marketplace continues to undergo rapid change, it is important that we remain proactive and agile in protecting Canadian financial consumers. I look forward to engaging stakeholders from all sectors to build their knowledge, expertise and wisdom as we pursue our core mission."
Lucie Tedesco, Commissioner, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
- Call for applicants: Membership on the Consumer Protection Advisory Committee (CPAC)
- Consumer Protection Advisory Committee (CPAC) Terms of Reference
- FCAC mandate
- Commissioner's biography
- Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
SOURCE Financial Consumer Agency of Canada
For further information: Lynne Santerre, Media Relations Officer, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, 613-941-4168, [email protected]