The holiday highlights the struggle for achieving a suitable work/life balance for many Canadian workers
TORONTO, Feb. 20, 2012 /CNW Telbec/ - As most workers in Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan enjoy the Family Day holiday, Randstad Canada, the country's leader for staffing, recruitment and HR Services, reinforces the importance of remembering that optimum employee contribution comes from a balance of performance and sufficient rest.
In today's busy world, prioritizing between work and home life can be a tremendous challenge. But according to Leandra Harris, Executive Vice President of Human Resources, Randstad Canada, a poor work-life balance can result in unhealthy levels of stress, unhappiness, and even reduced productivity.
She says work-life balance is an indicator of health. "Striking the right balance between work and rest makes a significant difference to employee performance and happiness. When you are overworked, the level of high quality, timely work drops significantly. When the home front is taken care of, you are less distracted at work. When your work is managed well, you are happier at home. And when you have regular leisure time, just for you, you are able to recharge, thereby enriching your whole life."
According to Harris, the tips below can help you restore the balance and harmony in both your work and personal lives.
- Decide what's important. Focus on what you want to achieve and don't let the small stuff get in the way.
- Get organised. Clear your desk and living area of clutter. Organise your calendar. By knowing what you have to do in any given day or week, you're taking steps towards achieving balance.
- Manage your time well. Focus on what is important and manage how you spend your time.
- Diet and exercise. Make sure to eat healthy meals and get plenty of exercise during the week. You'll feel more energized and refreshed.
- Get plenty of sleep. When we exhaust our bodies and our minds, we lack the energy to come up with positive ways to resolve our daily challenges.
- Have a strong support network. Your interactions with family and friends help replenish your personal happiness and energy. The more similar those around you are in goals and beliefs, the easier it will be to achieve your goals.
"A healthy work/life balance is necessary for protecting and maintaining our professional and personal well being," explains Harris. "A hectic schedule at work and at home can lead to conflict, depression and burnout. By striving to achieve a balance in all areas of your life you can reap the benefits of a more satisfying career along with a better quality of life overall."
About Randstad Canada: Randstad Canada is the Canadian leader for staffing, recruitment and HR Services. As the only fully integrated staffing company in the country, we understand the recruitment needs and demands of employers and job seekers across all levels and industries. Through our insightful knowledge of local markets, employment trends and global network of recruitment experts, we are shaping the Canadian world of work. Visit randstad.ca
For further information: