Seven series from AwesomenessTV join F2N's nightly lineup
Exclusive sneak peek of Degrassi now available on F2N.ca
TORONTO, Nov. 30, 2015 /CNW/ - DHX Television's leading kids network Family Channel is expanding it's offering with F2N – a new timeslot on the schedule featuring exclusive series and popular movies for teens. Beginning Monday, January 4 at 9 p.m. ET/PT, F2N takes over nighttime viewing on Family Channel, anchored by the highly-anticipated debut of Degrassi: Next Class. This entertainment haven for older audiences will also introduce seven series as part of an overall programming and licensing deal with AwesomenessTV as DHX Television expands its relationship with the Gen Z content creator to feature shows for teens that capture how growing up is rarely predictable. Launching today to give viewers more insight on the F2N programming slate that awaits them is F2N.ca, which features show details and exclusive previews of what's on the horizon.
"Family Channel's appeal with the teen audience has always been strong and our plans to schedule series in the F2N block that cater to their interests and speak directly to teens will ensure this is a must-see programming destination designed specifically for older youth viewers," said Joe Tedesco, Senior Vice-President and General Manager, DHX Television. "What better show to have at the helm of our teen offering than Degrassi: Next Class, a series that has spanned generations by exploring discussion-worthy topics that matter to teens in a responsible manner. The series coming to us from AwesomenessTV really capture the joy and angst of the contemporary teenage experience – we're encouraging viewers to break free from real life while still providing a taste of it."
From DHX Studios, Degrassi: Next Class tells the stories of Generation Z with equal measures of humour, angst and heart. This drama follows high school students as they grapple with a series of 'firsts' and begin their journey into adulthood. Pushing their own limits and testing the bonds of family and friends, the students each find their own way to deal with a range of issues: from homophobia and racism to substance abuse and the complications of dating in the social media age.
New faces joining the previously announced cast of Degrassi: Next Class include: Amir Bageria as Baaz Nahir; Soma Bhatia as Goldi Nahir; Jamie Bloch as Yael Baron; Chelsea Clark as Esme Song; and Dante Scott as Vijay Miraj. The series was co-created by Linda Schuyler who is also Executive Producer with Stephen Stohn, Sarah Glinski and Matt Huether.
Filling out the rest of the F2N schedule are gripping reality, dramatic and comedy series for teens from AwesomenessTV. Seven newly acquired shows highlight the spontaneity and newfound freedom of being a teenager, from blossoming friendships and crushes to the unexpected firsts that come along with growing up. Viewers are bound to find their newest TV obsession as the series joining Degrassi on F2N include:
- Third Wheel – Monday, January 4 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT
- Watch as singles get to know each other through a series of embarrassing questions and challenges as they ride along with hosts Hunter March and Lauren Elizabeth on this blind date reality series. ·
- Guidance –Tuesday, January 5 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT
- The truth behind a series of scandalous photos of Miriam (Amanda Steele), the most popular girl in school, unfolds through weekly sessions with the school's guidance counselor, Anna (Michelle Trachtenberg, Gossip Girl).
- Life After Friday – Wednesday, January 6 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT
- After instant success from her music video 'Friday', Rebecca Black has to choose between college and a music career in Los Angeles. Join Rebecca along for the ride as she makes the life-changing decision and moves to Los Angeles to enter the music business.
- Arts Academy – Thursday, January 7 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT
- Idyllwild Arts Academy is home to students balancing academic classes with rigorous pre-professional arts training. New relationships are formed amongst the competitive group as the students chase dreams that can lead to their big break or the breaking point.
- Betch – Monday, January 11 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT
- Starring Aubrey Whitby (The Thundermans), Maddy Whitby, Monica Sherer and Lauren Elizabeth, this comedy showcases some betches makin' some sketches with funny girls and famous people. Obviously.
- LA Story – Wednesday, January 13 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT
- Follow the lives of 10 of LA's most elite teenagers, where money is no object and friendship is the ultimate prize. These friends have had their ups and downs, breakups and breakdowns, but in the end... they somehow manage to stick together.
- Let's Be Honest – Friday, January 15 at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT
- No topic is off limits with Let's Be Honest's panel of YouTubers as they talk about all things no one wants to talk about embarrassing moments with cringeworthy details.
Ahead of the launch of F2N on Family Channel, viewers are encouraged to visit F2N.ca for exclusive first looks at some of the series coming to the network. Beginning today, the website will be home to a sneak peek to the first six minutes of the premiere episode of Degrassi: Next Class. In January, the full website will launch featuring show information, scheduling details and more exclusive video content.
Family Channel offers the best in family television entertainment in a premium, commercial-free environment. Dedicated to celebrating family life and providing a daily vacation for children and their families, Family airs a unique mix of top-rated Canadian and acquired series, movies and specials. Family is also home to F2N – an entertainment haven for teens that features high quality programs after 9 p.m. Family Channel subscribers have access to Family OnDemand and Family Online at no additional cost, to see hit movies and series when they want them, where they want them. Visit us at Family.ca.
About DHX Television
DHX Television is comprised of Family Channel, Family CHRGD, Family Jr. and Télémagino, and is part of DHX Media Ltd., a leading creator, producer, marketer and broadcaster of family entertainment. Dedicated to celebrating family fun, DHX Television delivers best-in-class programming through premium subscriptions and its original production mandate, and creates and produces captivating in-market events that appeal to Canadian families. DHX Television is home to world-renowned series including The Next Step, Degrassi: Next Class and Teletubbies. DHX Media Ltd. has offices globally, and is traded on the NASDAQ and Toronto Stock Exchange.
SOURCE Family Channel
For further information: Joanna Landsberg, Publicist - DHX Television, 416.977.7458, email@example.com; Jaime Bassett, Director, Communications - DHX Television, 416.977.7416, firstname.lastname@example.org