TORONTO, May 11, 2015 /CNW/ - With just 19 days to go until the start of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, excitement continues to build. Today, the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games Organizing Committee (TO2015) announced 9 familiar Canadians who will participate in the 41-day journey.
More than 3,000 torchbearers will proudly carry the Pan Am flame in over 130 communities. Some of these familiar Canadians, along with the community and date they will participate in, will include:
- J.R. Fitzpatrick (@J_R_Fitzpatrick) — in Cambridge, ON, on June 19 — NASCAR driver, nine wins and 14 poles in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series.
- Darnell Nurse (@drtwofive) — in Hamilton, ON, on June 22 — hockey player, Edmonton Oilers (NHL) draft pick, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (Ontario Hockey League), World Junior Hockey Championship gold medallist.
- Steve Bauer (@SteveBauer59) — in Milton, ON, on June 23 — retired professional cyclist, Olympic silver medallist (1984) and Canadian Sport Hall of Fame inductee (selected by OLG).
- Alexandre Bilodeau (@Abilodeau_ski) — in Montreal, QC, on June 28 — freestyle skier (moguls), two-time Olympic gold medallist (2010 and 2014).
- Dwayne De Rosario (@dwaynederosario) — in Toronto, ON, on July 5 — retired soccer player, Toronto FC (MLS).
- Wayne Simmonds (@Simmonds17) — in Toronto, ON, on July 5 — NHL hockey player with the Philadelphia Flyers.
- Patrick Chan (@Pchiddy)— in Toronto, ON, on July 6 — figure skater, two-time Olympic silver medallist (2014), seven-time National Champion and three-time world figure skating champion (selected by OLG).
- Jim Cuddy (@JimCuddy) — in Toronto, ON, on July 8 — singer-songwriter and Blue Rodeo band member.
- Amanda Martinez (@amandamartinezm) — in Toronto, ON, on July 8 — Toronto-based singer-songwriter.
Over the next 10 days, TO2015 will announce more familiar faces through the official torch relay Twitter account @TO2015torch. Follow us to ensure you don't miss out on the news!
During the 41-day torch relay, each of the 3,000 torchbearers will complete, on average, a 200-metre relay segment. The torch will be carried by more than 60 modes of transportation and exceed 5,000 kilometres on the road and 15,000 kilometres by air.
About the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay
The TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay, presented by President's Choice® and OLG, is supported by community partner CIBC, signature supporters Star Media Group and Metroland Media, Ontario Trillium Foundation and Porter Airlines, and funding parties the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario. The torch relay will invite Canadians to celebrate and share the Pan Am spirit throughout its 41-day journey towards Toronto, the Host City of the Games.
The torch relay starts May 30, 2015, and concludes July 10, 2015, with the dramatic lighting of the cauldron at the Opening Ceremony in downtown Toronto.
The TORONTO 2015 Games are funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, as well as Lead Partner CIBC and other partners and sponsors.
For more information, visit TORONTO2015.org/torch-relay.
The Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport):
"As Canada's Minister of State for Sport, I've been fortunate to meet some of our country's most inspiring athletes. These encounters have made me proud and strengthened my Canadian identity, and I encourage all Canadians to take part in torch relay celebrations in their communities to also be inspired by familiar faces. These community celebrations will generate excitement for the Games and forge ties between communities, thanks to an investment from the Government of Canada."
Michael Coteau, Minister Responsible for the 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games:
"The symbolic torch relay will be a unifier of people, spirit and pride in communities across Ontario and beyond our borders. The participation of celebrated Canadians in the torch relay will add to the excitement and broaden the reach and profile of these Games while putting a well-deserved spotlight on our athletes, torchbearers and local communities."
Mayor John Tory, City of Toronto:
"An impressive list of great Canadians will carry the torch on its 41 day journey leading up to the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games. The torch will travel across Toronto, uniting our neighbourhoods in the spirit of friendship and sport. Come out and cheer our torch relay participants on!"
Uwe Stueckmann, Senior Vice-President, Marketing, Loblaw Companies Limited:
"President's Choice is a proud supporter of the Pan Am Games, feeding the thousands of athletes and volunteers as they bring the Games to life this summer. As a presenting sponsor of the torch relays, we understand the importance of making great things accessible to Canadians — from amazing food products, to one-of-a-kind experiences. We are delighted to help bring the torch
relays to our customers and colleagues in communities across the country and to share the spirit of the 2015 Games."
Stephen Rigby, President and CEO, Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG):
"Anticipation is growing across the province with only a few weeks before the historic start of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am Games Torch Relay. As a Presenting Sponsor of the torch relay, OLG looks forward to being an integral part of the local evening celebrations on the relay route and celebrating with all the torchbearers proudly carrying the flame through their communities."
Stephen Forbes, Executive Vice-President, CIBC:
"CIBC is proud to help bring this iconic symbol of the Games to more than 130 communities and join with thousands of fans along the route to cheer on some exciting familiar faces, along with all the other incredible Canadians who will carry the flame on its 41-day journey."
SOURCE TORONTO 2015 Torch Relay
For further information: Jill MacCannell, Coordinator, marketing and communications, TO2015, 416.996.4076, [email protected]