MISSISSAUGA, ON, April 25, 2012 /CNW/ - Express Scripts Canada, one of the largest providers of health benefits management services in Canada, today announced that the application for a license to operate a pharmacy in the Province of British Columbia by Express Scripts Pharmacy West Ltd. has been granted by the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia.
The license is effective immediately.
The pharmacy, which is located in Burnaby, east of Vancouver, is now open to serve plan members in British Columbia and Alberta. It is an integral component of Express Scripts Canada's expanded pharmacy benefit management (PBM) service, which includes home delivery of maintenance prescription medications from an Express Scripts Canada Pharmacy. The PBM service is designed to enable plan sponsors to more effectively and efficiently manage prescription drug benefits provided to plan members.
Express Scripts Canada's expanded PBM service, which can be added by companies and organizations without changing insurance carriers, applies behavioral sciences to health-care decision-making to more effectively help manage benefit costs and improve health outcomes. Plan members, with the support of their physicians, will interact with a team of qualified professionals at Express Scripts Canada to learn about their maintenance medication alternatives so that they can make more informed choices. The result will be decisions that promote improved health outcomes, while often reducing costs for both the member and the member's plan sponsor.
Working in conjunction with the expanded PBM service, this new Express Scripts Canada Pharmacy will facilitate the dispensing and delivery of prescription drugs to treat ongoing medical conditions, such as asthma, diabetes high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The prescription is subsequently delivered, via free standard shipping, to patients' homes or to the address they designate.
A skilled team of pharmacists and pharmacy assistants verify the clinical quality of those prescriptions filled. Patients of the new British Columbia pharmacy, which is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT, will have access to pharmacists to answer questions about their medications.
Express Scripts Canada expects to open additional affiliated pharmacies in other provinces in 2012 to provide service to plan members throughout the country.
For more information about Express Scripts Canada's pharmacy benefit management service and home delivery pharmacy, go to www.express-scripts.ca.
About Express Scripts Canada
Express Scripts Canada, a registered business name of ESI Canada, an Ontario partnership indirectly owned by Express Scripts, is one of Canada's leading providers of health benefits management services. From its corporate headquarters in Mississauga, Ontario, just outside Toronto, Express Scripts Canada provides a full range of integrated pharmacy benefit management (PBM) services to insurers, third-party administrators, plan sponsors and the public sector, including health-claims adjudication and processing services, Home Delivery Pharmacy Services, benefit-design consultation, drug-utilization review, formulary management, and medical and drug-data analysis services, to better facilitate the best possible health outcomes at the lowest possible cost. For more information about Express Scripts Canada, visit its Web site at www.express-scripts.ca.
About Express Scripts
Express Scripts is leading the way toward creating better health and value for patients through Consumerology®, the advanced application of the behavioral sciences to health care. This approach is helping millions of members realize greater health-care outcomes and lowering cost by assisting in influencing their behavior.
Headquartered in St. Louis, Express Scripts provides integrated PBM services, including network-pharmacy claims processing, home delivery services, specialty benefit management, benefit-design consultation, drug-utilization review, formulary management, and medical and drug data analysis services. The Company also distributes a full range of biopharmaceutical products and provides extensive cost-management and patient-care services.
More information can be found at http://www.express-scripts.com.
EXPRESS SCRIPTS FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This material may include forward-looking statements, both with respect to us and our industry, that reflect our current views with respect to future events and financial performance. Statements that include the words "expect," "intend," "plan," "believe," "project," "anticipate," "will," "may," "would" and similar statements of a future or forward-looking nature may be used to identify forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements address matters that involve risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control. Accordingly, there are or will be important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements and, therefore, you should not place undue reliance on any such statements. We believe that these factors include, but are not limited to, the following:
STANDARD OPERATING FACTORS
- Our ability to remain profitable in a very competitive marketplace is dependent upon our ability to attract and retain clients while maintaining our margins, to differentiate our products and services from others in the marketplace, and to develop and cross sell new products and services to our existing clients
- Our failure to anticipate and appropriately adapt to changes in the rapidly changing healthcare industry
- Changes in applicable laws or regulations, or their interpretation or enforcement, or the enactment of new laws or regulations, which apply to our business practices (past, present or future) or require us to spend significant resources in order to comply
- Changes to the healthcare industry designed to manage healthcare costs or alter healthcare financing practices
- The termination, or an unfavorable modification, of our relationship with one or more key pharmacy providers, or significant changes within the pharmacy provider marketplace
- Our failure to execute on, or other issues arising under, certain key client contracts
- Changes relating to our participation in Medicare Part D, the loss of Medicare Part D eligible members, or our failure to otherwise execute on our strategies related to Medicare Part D
- Our failure to effectively execute on strategic transactions, or to integrate or achieve anticipated benefits from any acquired businesses
- The impact of our debt service obligations on the availability of funds for other business purposes, and the terms and our required compliance with covenants relating to our indebtedness
- A failure in the security or stability of our technology infrastructure, or the infrastructure of one or more of our key vendors, or a significant failure or disruption in service within our operations or the operations of such vendors
- The termination, or an unfavorable modification, of our relationship with one or more key pharmaceutical manufacturers, or the significant reduction in payments made or discounts provided by pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Changes in industry pricing benchmarks
- Results in pending and future litigation or other proceedings which would subject us to significant monetary damages or penalties and/or require us to change our business practices, or the costs incurred in connection with such proceedings or could impair our ability to fully integrate acquired businesses
- Our failure to attract and retain talented employees, or to manage succession and retention for our Chief Executive Officer or other key executives
- Other risks described from time to time in our filings with the SEC
For further information: